OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

TK2000 Pattern Pictures

Started by RangerHD, November 07, 2012, 10:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RangerHD

Hello everyone, my first post!  Glad I found this place. 

I had always wanted a TK2000 muzzle loading shotgun and for some reason I bought one right before deer season.  So instead of sighting in my rifle and black powder rifle I've been playing with my turkey gun.

I shot a lot last weekend using different mixes of ITX shot 4 and 6. Just about every shot was a dead turkey, but me being me I wanted to play until I found the best pattern. Anyway, I cut open some lead #5s and Hevi 13 #6s (the old ones with the white hulls) and went and bought some "shoot and see" targets.

I finally found my combo I will be hunting with. The one very dense pattern of the picture I attached is Hevi 13 #6 in a TPS 3 inch wad with a white overshot card and 90 grains of triple 7. I turned the target over and drew a 10 inch circle and had 173 hits in a 10 inch circle at roughly 40 yards according to the laser range finder. 

The other target is 3.5 knight wad with knight overshot card 100 grains of triple 7 and mix of ITX shot 4 and 6. Right at 75% 6 shot and 25% 4 shot. It produced right at 95 hits in a 10 inch circle.

The end result of all my shooting is that every single shot would be a dead turkey at 40 yards whether it be lead straight 5 shot, ITX straight 6 shot or ITX straight 4 shot or a combo of 4x6 ITX and it didn't matter if it was a 3 inch wad or 3.5 inch wad or 90 or 100 grains of powder, all were dead turkeys but I really like that Hevi 13 pattern as it was at least 75%-100% better than the rest of my shots.

I ended up ordering a seven pound bag of Hevi Shot #6 and after reading on this forum for the last two night maybe I should have bought some of the #7 shotshells and cut them open before jumping the gun on $200 bucks worth of loose hevi #6.

Hevi 13 #6 40 Yards

ITX 4x6 40 Yards

nyhunter

great pattern's. I would say dont bother with the 7's .

SumToy

What kind of choke you have.  I have one in that we are working on the figure a way to build a choke for it.  :o 

God the 31/2 wad nitro(brown) hard card (nc12) the yellow felt also.  Now got to find shot and powder.    I have never played with one so this could be fun. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

RangerHD

It is the full choke that came with the gun.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: RangerHD on November 30, 2012, 03:04:53 PM
It is the full choke that came with the gun.

I'd say you are through at the patterning board and ready for the turkey woods. You did a great job of getting the patterning job done for the intended purpose of developing a load to effectively kill turkeys. Congratulations and best of luck this spring. I look forward to hearing about your success.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

magnus

You guys still hunting/messing with the Knight TK-2000 muzzleloading shotgun?  Any new combos that are working well??

mnbirdbuster

Always tinkering with the TK!!! I use a 3.5" TPS wad with 8 3/4" deep slits all around top of wad that make it look kind of like a party favor. Filled with #6 Turkey Trauma 13 which weighs about 2 1/2oz, and I top it off with a 10ga os card with a vent hole slightly off center so air can pass through when seating. I use the oversized 10ga os card to help hold the heavy payload back or at least gain piece of mind. I propelled this load with 90-100gr of ffg T7 with the 95gr being the charge of choice.

joey46

First try with a 70gr BP, 2oz shot cup, and 2oz. #6.  Topped with a thin cardboard over shot card.  I'm looking for something that doesn't kick like the 100gr 2 1/2 oz does.
The recoil was noticeably less IMO.  Will play a little more and might go down to 1 3/4oz and 65gr.
This was 35 yards.

I'll add the picture when I remember how this site does it.