turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

First Fall Turkey Hunt

Started by 870FaceLift, October 22, 2012, 04:36:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

870FaceLift

Before yesterday, I'd never had the pleasure of hunting turkeys in the fall.  The part of Ohio that I reside in doesn't allow fall turkey hunting, so the only turkey interaction I would typically have this time of year was occasionally watching them roost toward the end of an evening deer hunt.  Well, my good friend Bob (Shadetree Callers) graciously took me to his honeyhole, located in a fall-turkey-hunting approved county, for a memorable Sunday hunt. 

We headed for the property around 4:30AM, which was about a two hour drive from our starting point.  The AM started off in a blind placed in the corner of a half-cut corn field.  I was amazed with the turkey talk that took place while the birds were still on the limb.  I didn't expect to hear gobbles, but I also didn't expect to hear that much turkey chat.  Bob had every bird in the area talking back to his boxcaller. 

The chatting ceased a little after flydown as the turkeys went to the other side of the property.  After multiple does sightings and witnessing a crafty coyote on the prowl (out of shooting range), we decided to take a mobile approach to attempt to locate a flock.  It wasn't long before we found ourselves perched on the corner a foggy cut bean field.  We weren't alone.  A cluster of jakes picked around and talked to each other as a small fawn walked within 25 yards of our downwind position.

We moved again a little later and decided that it was a good time to grab some lunch.  The tempature was rising as we returned, so we decided to move the blind to a shady spot.  It wasn't long before we a flock of ten hens show up.  They were about two hundred yards from our position, but heading the other way.  We decided to be aggressive and use the land to our advantage.  We used a few ridges to circumnavigate the property in an effort to cutoff the birds.  The plan worked as we came up on the birds at 30 yards.  Impossible at it may seem, we saw them before they saw us and were both able to tag a nice bird.

Admittedly, the hunt didn't have the allure of a new spring morning full of gobbles.  However, it was just as great in other ways.  The fall colors and friendship contributed greatly to this hunt.  I thank Bob for allowing me to accompany him.  What a great way to enjoy a fall day!

Foggy morning field:

Fall colors:

Two fallen:

Reflecting on a blessed hunt:

Friendship:

Until next spring...
Pass it on...

thundrchikin

Congrats on what sounds to be a great hunt.

TRKYHTR

Looks like a great hunt. Congrats to you and Bob.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

slamman

tomstopper

coyotetrpr

good lookin country you were in :icon_thumright:
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

Kylongspur88

Way to go. I hope I have the same good luck this weekend in KY. That looks like an awesome spot.

Duke0002

Congrats on a great fall hunt and bird!

beagler

Never Misses

shadetree callers

This turned out to be a very memorable day even though it started out at 33 degrees and very foggy . Calen and myself started a new NWTF chapter together this year and we have been talking about getting out for Calen's first fall hunt for turkeys , all summer. I have been out a few times and two days before he came with me , I called in 17 jakes that walked within a few yards of me and had seen several toms in the area . My main focus in the fall is on hens . We had flocks roosted all around us and they started the morning off gobbling and cackling from both sides of us . Since turkeys like to make us work hard at times , they flew down in opposite directions and went quiet. We got a group of 4 jakes to answer with gobbles and cackles in a foggy bean field and got them within about 75 yds of us . When the hen flock finally showed up , it was obvious that they would not make the long move across the field . We made our move and got to striking distance and Calen wasted no time in telling me he had one in his sights and I whispered , "Shoot" . At the shot the whole flock, minus one, took to the air but two of them decided to light back down and did so right in front of my Remington so I filled my tag at the same time . It was a great hunt and one that will stay in my memory a long time . There is nothing like a great hunt spent with a good friend . And it sure makes for a great day when you have to carry 2 fall turkeys out with you .
Bob

Turkey Beard

Quote from: slamman on October 22, 2012, 06:37:35 PM
congrats.  great pictures

The exact words going through my mind! Way to go!
1UP GAME CALLS - Calls That Put'em On The Wall..
www.1upgamecalls.com