OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Going through the corn!!!

Started by lightsoutcalls, October 15, 2012, 09:41:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightsoutcalls

I went to check my trail camera on the setup where I plan to take my dad this weekend.  I put about 35 pounds of corn out a week ago Saturday.  When I arrived, there was nothing that looked like corn, just plowed leaves and dirt.  I checked the camera to find over 820 pictures in 8 days.  I had a couple of new visitors since the previous week.  Check out the doe herd... wonder why I'm going through the corn? 

I'm hoping to see this guy at some point this season...

He is a wide 8 point.  His right eye guard looks to be about 5" long and his left about 4" long.  There is one more 8 point with very symetrical rack that is only coming in after dark.  There is also a young 6 point that just has forks and about 1" eye guards.  He's barely legal, but I'm not going to discourage dad from taking a shot at anything that isn't a fawn next Saturday morning.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

tomstopper

Great pics. Usually I put about 50lbs of corn out each week. The number of pics I used to get were about the same as yours. Its always exciting to see whats on them but it sometimes was exhausting. Out of all the attractants I found corn to be the best. Maybe that is what you will see as well. Good luck to you & your dad. Hope he gets a big one.

barry

Why is he "barely legal"? State restrictions?
Good luck to you and your Dad!

lightsoutcalls

Quote from: barry on October 15, 2012, 11:44:21 AM
Why is he "barely legal"? State restrictions?
Good luck to you and your Dad!

Game and fish regs state that a legal buck must have both antlers under 2" long (button buck) or at least 3 points on one side, with the shortest point being no less than 1" long.  The eye guards on the little 6 point will make 1" easy enough from the pics I have of him.  He is basically a "forkhorn" with eyeguards that make him a legal buck.  ;)
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

redarrow

Good luck to you and your Dad Wendell.

Crappiepro

Thats alot of backstraps!! Good luck to your dad and you!

mossy835

ILIKEHEVI-13

mikejd

I had 1 small Doe eat 50lbs of corn in 1 1/2 days last week. She slept next to the pile through a whole day of rain. When i saw her it looked like someone inflated a beach ball in her belly.