OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

coup de grâce

Started by land cruiser, October 10, 2012, 02:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

land cruiser

Them birds are tough and often not out completely after the first shot. What's your preferred method for dispatching a wounded bird? With all that thrashing around, I am always worried of ruining more meat, hence the question.

(Aim better is a good option, alas not always relevant)

guesswho

A foot on the neck is usually all I do, even that probably isn't necessary.  But I saw a guy on tv do it and figured that's the way it should be done.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

captin_hook

Yepper, boot held on the head or neck usually gets it done.

tomstopper

Quote from: captin_hook on October 10, 2012, 05:40:17 PM
Yepper, boot held on the head or neck usually gets it done.
:agreed: When I was younger I had a neighbor who was turkey hunting and shot a nice gobbler and thought that it was going to get up and run so he grabbed it by the legs. Not a good idea. he not only got slapped by the wings, but also took a spur right through the webbing (skin) between his thumb and first finger. Painful..... Foot to neck always works for me.

Turkey Beard

I tuck the wings into the body and kneel on the bird itself. Figure that it can't breathe that way (if it's still alive) and it also protects the feathers in case of taxidermy work.
1UP GAME CALLS - Calls That Put'em On The Wall..
www.1upgamecalls.com

ccleroy

Grab em' by the legs and enjoy the ride.

land cruiser

Thanks Gents! Hoping to try the foot to neck method in few weeks when season opens.

dirt road ninja

Quote from: ccleroy on October 12, 2012, 04:17:15 PM
Grab em' by the legs and enjoy the ride.

A instructional video of this would be great. :popcorn:

dirt road ninja

If they just flopping, I let'm flop. If they trying to get on their feet with their head up I keep shoot'n.

o2stk1

FullChoke

If I have a bird that is still flopping with his head staying on the ground by the time I get over to him, I get him onto his belly with his feet under him, tuck his wings on his sides and hold him still as he expires. I do not personally believe in handling the last moments of this extraordinary game animal with such callous disregard as stomping a boot on his head. However, if that kind of thing trips your trigger, Conan, have at it.

Have you ever seen anyone run up and stomp on the head of a deer that lays dying? Yea, me neither.

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

guesswho

Quote from: FullChoke on December 01, 2012, 12:00:23 AM
Have you ever seen anyone run up and stomp on the head of a deer that lays dying? Yea, me neither.

FullChoke
Can't say that I've seen anyone get a deer onto his belly with his feet under him, and hold him still as he expires either.  :)
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

drenalinld

Standing on his neck to cut off air supply ends it the quickest which in my mind is most honorable.

land cruiser

Well it worked for me few weeks ago when I guided for the first time. The bird I got today needed no such thing. It expired before I walked up to it.

guesswho

Good job land cruiser, congrats
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff