OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

The Winnowing

Started by allaboutshooting, October 09, 2012, 09:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allaboutshooting

At the World Championship Still Target Shoot, for one and one-half days, we shoot 12 gauge and 20 gauge full-power 3" shotshells, one after another. In squads of 10, men, women and youth, we shoot. Each target from each shooter in each squad is scored and each squad winner (along with winners and runners-up from prior state and regional events) advances to the semi-finals which begin at the second half of day 2 at 1:00 P.M.

Then the "winnowing" begins.

All of those winners shoot more 12 gauge shells and 20 gauge shells until the finalists in each class have been determined. Traditionally, it's been a "Final Four". This year there were 5 positions in the 12 Gauge Open and only 2 shooters, who shot against each other at the end of the contest, in the ML Class.

In order to win the class, and be named World Champion, a finalist in each class must win 2 times.

These were the finalists this year, with their number of positions (seats) in the finals with an * to indicate the winner:

12 Gauge Open

*Steve Conover – 3
Clark Bush – 2

12 Gauge Hunter

*Brian Sloan – 2
Chris Scott – 1
Clark Bush – 1

20 Gauge Open

*Steve Conover – 2
Karie Scott – 1
Clark Bush – 1

20 Gauge Ladies

*Amanda Fox - 2
Karie Scott - 2

JAKES (Youth - 17 and Under)

Jacob - 1
*Alex Fox - 2
Caleb Gilreath - 1

ML (Black Powder) Class

*Brian Sloan
Steve Conover

I'd like to add my congratulations to all of the winners and to all who shot in the event. I'd also like to add my thanks to all of the staff members from the NWTF who volunteer their time each year to officiate the World Championship.

Lastly, the event could not be held without the financial support of Environ-Metal, the makers of Hevi-Shot products. Cases and cases of Hevi-13 shotshells were fired at the championship and were again the choice of all of the winners.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

outdoors

:OGturkeyhead:  WOW U done GOOD , congratulations .....
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

vaturkey

Congrats Clark on placing in 3 events !  Well Done !   :icon_thumright:

vaturkey   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

captin_hook

allaboutshooting

Thank you all. We just got back from another road trip and after the 12 hour drive on Monday, we're both pretty tired. Hopefully, we can catch up on a little rest tomorrow.

It was a good shoot and I really appreciate so much your positive comments.

Thanks again,
Clark

hunter-b

allaboutshooting

Thank you very much. We're still recovering from the shoot and the drive back. Now we need to catch up around here.

Thanks,
Clark

Eric Gregg

Congrats Clark on placing in 3 events :you_rock:

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Eric Gregg on October 11, 2012, 08:48:00 PM
Congrats Clark on placing in 3 events :you_rock:

Thank you. Today, I looked at the number of shells I shot at the event and it turns out to be 1 shell every 12 minutes for 9 hours each day for 2 days. Doris shot 1 shell about every 19 minutes or so for that same time period. It was a lot of fun but also pretty tiring.

Thanks again,
Clark