OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

scope or no scope?

Started by bowhunter84, March 02, 2011, 01:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowhunter84

i have a remington 1187 SM and i cant decide if i want to put a scope on it or not.  i've pretty much ruled out red dot as i dont want anything that takes batteries. i'm not sure if i'll like it or not.  what are your opinions?

Skeeterbait

Some people like a scope on a shotgun.  I have never understood why.  You need no magnification at turkey ranges.  It just makes it harder to find your target in the scope at real close range.  But if you decide to go that way, lowest power you can get.  Mount it as far forward as you can and still crane your neck forward enough to see a clear view.  This protects you from getting your face cut.  And do not use a scope with a spring loaded recoil absorbing stock.

If you want to use a reflex sight but are dead set against batteries, Trijicon makes sights that use both fiber optic and Tritium night site technology that require no batteries.  But they ain't cheap.

WyoHunter

My eyes aren't what they used to be but even if they were I'd still prefer a scope because it provides a distinct aiming point and a clearer view of the target. I don't use one because of the magnification as mine is kept on the lowest power anyhow.  :icon_thumright: :cowboy:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

timbrhuntr

I don't like anything with batteries as well. 4 or 5 years ago I put a 4 x 32 Simmons pro diamond on my 12 gauge and love it. I don't know about not being able to pick up the bird in the scope I have never had any trouble.Shot them from 10 yds or less out to close to 50. I will admit I have never shot at a flying bird but have shot a few on the run with no problem so far.

hookedspur

I love the scoped gun ,my eyes dont focus like they used to.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

wisconsinteacher

Personally,  I don't care for scopes on my turkey gun.  The one bad experience I had was a bird close in some thick stuff.  When I put the scope up all I saw as brush and no opening.  If I would have had open sights, I could have picked a hole to shoot through.  That is just me. 

ericjames

I have one with a scope and one without. I like the scope better