turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What choke is this?

Started by cluck, September 24, 2012, 05:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cluck

I thought I had bought a remington ventilator 12 gauge choke but now have some doubts about it. Its a used choke. Its four inch long, has 42 holes drilled in it and the man said it a .660 I.D. Iam starting to think Hasting. Anybody know a good load for it? Its going in a 870 Express, 3".         Thanks, cluck

snoodlum

The length and number of ports sounds like ventilator. Mine has "lead shot only" stamped on it. It is advertised as .655.

nyhunter

Can you post a picture of it?

cluck

Gentlemen; I don't have a camera and would not have a clue on how to post pictures. It was in a plastic tube and had the name Hastings on it. It sure looks like a ventilator. Was able to get in the 80's with the win.suprem's #6, 1 7/8, 3" today. Is the .655 to tight for fed. 1 3/4 oz. #6 in 3 "? I don't think they be the old ones.     Thank for helping this missouri old man.     cluck

R AJ

Quote from: cluck on September 24, 2012, 11:23:51 PM
Gentlemen; I don't have a camera and would not have a clue on how to post pictures. It was in a plastic tube and had the name Hastings on it. It sure looks like a ventilator. Was able to get in the 80's with the win.suprem's #6, 1 7/8, 3" today. Is the .655 to tight for fed. 1 3/4 oz. #6 in 3 "? I don't think they be the old ones.     Thank for helping this missouri old man.     cluck

A 655 or 660 is definitely not too tight for a HV Winchester 1 3/4 oz. #6 load. It likes tight as a rule.
Unless you are shooting your birds at 40 yards or so I would see what you are getting at 30-35 yds.
30 yds is a fairly long shot in my woods. If you were to try HTL loads I bet that your 40 yd. patterns will be very acceptable with that choke, especially using #7 in Hevi-shot or Fed HW.
Again, if you aren't shooting past 30 or so yds. it becomes a mute point for the 40 yd #s.