OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Patterning for the Fall

Started by allaboutshooting, September 19, 2012, 11:34:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

allaboutshooting

We've just had our first taste of fall with temps in the 40s. Since I do see some differences in patterns with lower temperatures and higher humidity, I plan to be out tomorrow morning early to pattern some while those temperatures are down. In that way I'll be ready for the fall season and also know just how my gun will pattern on those cool spring mornings next year.

If you've not patterned your gun on a cool and damp morning, it's something that you might want to try just to see if your patterns are effected.

I also allow enough time for my gun to become cold to the touch, just like when I'm out hunting. I want to be as  close to actual hunting conditions as possible. A cold gun, cold ammo and cold atmospheric conditions can make a difference in performance of our equipment.

Might be worth a try.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

vaturkey

Thanks Clark for the Heads Up !   :icon_thumright:

vaturkey   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

allaboutshooting

Quote from: vaturkey on September 19, 2012, 01:33:36 PM

Thanks Clark for the Heads Up !   :icon_thumright:

vaturkey   :newmascot:

You're welcome. It's just one of those things that we don't always consider. Many years ago I read an engineering report that the folks at Olin/Winchester published about the effect of atmospheric conditions on shot patterns.

Cold air effects the powder in shells and of course cold air is more dense than hot air, all other conditions being equal.

Many times we pattern our guns in "ideal" or close to ideal conditions, hot days, etc. but those days are unlike many that we hunt.

It just pays to have knowledge of our guns.

Thanks,
Clark

nyhunter

Clark, what gun or guns coke load etc etc are you gonna pattern? pleas share you numbers with us.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: nyhunter on September 20, 2012, 08:34:39 PM
Clark, what gun or guns coke load etc etc are you gonna pattern? pleas share you numbers with us.

I'll pattern the Benelli Vinci since that's the one that I'll use this fall. I'll shoot 3" Hevi-13 shells with 2 oz. of #6 and I'll also shoot 3" Hevi-13 shells with 2 oz. of #7 shot. The 2 chokes that work best in that gun are the Hevi-13 choke and the new SSX "Crio" choke.

I had actually planned to do that already but you know how plans can go, so if it's not raining in the morning, I'll give it a try then. If not then it will be next week before I can do that.

I'll be happy to share my results.

Thanks,
Clark

chatterbox

Thank, Clark!
I agree, fall patterning can give you numbers you can find on a cool May morning.
Here in NH, a cool, crisp Autumn morning can mimick the temps and conditions in early May. It's nice to know what your gun will do under those conditions.

nyhunter

Clark you mentioned the "new ssx crio" choke, Is that different than the former ssx choke?

allaboutshooting

Quote from: chatterbox on September 21, 2012, 06:55:54 PM
Thank, Clark!
I agree, fall patterning can give you numbers you can find on a cool May morning.
Here in NH, a cool, crisp Autumn morning can mimick the temps and conditions in early May. It's nice to know what your gun will do under those conditions.

You're welcome. I've found the same thing in the past. I'll be shooting in the morning and temperatures will be in the low 50s, so that should give me a good idea of what my spring patterns will be.

Thanks,
Clark

allaboutshooting

Quote from: nyhunter on September 21, 2012, 08:06:14 PM
Clark you mentioned the "new ssx crio" choke, Is that different than the former ssx choke?

Yes. The engineers at TRUGLO spent some time with the folks from Benelli and came up with a new o.d. for the "Crio" choke tube. The i.d. is the same as the other choke tube as is the interior geometry. The new choke is the TG153X and it's an excellent product.

Thanks,
Clark

outdoors

:fud:   Clark to best of you knowledge would this work with a  Benelli Super Black Eagle II (SBEII) 24 inch barrel. or wood this be too tight Thanks . . . . the price is wright
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

allaboutshooting

Quote from: outdoors on September 21, 2012, 09:14:52 PM
:fud:   Clark to best of you knowledge would this work with a  Benelli Super Black Eagle II (SBEII) 24 inch barrel. or wood this be too tight Thanks . . . . the price is wright

That choke was designed specifically for the SBEII and the Vinci/Super Vinci and it's perfect, in my experience and for those who have used it in their guns. It works with lead or with Hevi-Shot products.

Thanks,
Clark

glenhunter

Clark;
Thanks for all your useful info! It's greatly appreciated. :gobble:
Would the Hevi-13 choke work as well in a Mossberg 12 ga?

Steve

allaboutshooting

Quote from: glenhunter on September 22, 2012, 11:19:03 PM
Clark;
Thanks for all your useful info! It's greatly appreciated. :gobble:
Would the Hevi-13 choke work as well in a Mossberg 12 ga?

Steve

Hey Steve,

You're welcome. I am very impressed with the Hevi-13 chokes. I've shot all the different models and they all work very well. I've shot the Hevi-13 choke in both my Mossberg 500, 535 and 930 (standard bores) and in my Mossberg 935 (over-bored) and they throw great patterns in both.

Thanks again,
Clark

allaboutshooting

We had a taste of fall but now it's warmed back up again and the forecast says that it will stay that way for a while. So...no patterning on a fall morning as of yet.

Thanks,
Clark