Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Awesome Venison Jerky Recipe (works with beef as well)

Started by lightsoutcalls, September 18, 2012, 11:43:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightsoutcalls

I pulled one of the last 2 packages of venison jerky meat out of the freezer and decided to make up my own recipe as I went along. I consider myself somewhat of a jerky connoisseur and love a full flavored jerky that is not too smoky, not overdone and with a lingering "kick" to it. This recipe gives all of the above!

1- 1 1/2 lbs venison (beef will work as well) cut about 3/16" thick

Marinade

1/2 cup soy sauce

1/4 cup teriyaki sauce

1 tbsp onion powder

1 tbsp celery salt

1 tbsp crushed red pepper flakes

1/2 tbsp garlic powder

1/2 tbsp cayenne pepper

2 tbsp brown sugar

2 tbsp honey

Combine all marinade ingredients in a 2 quart bowl and mix thoroughly. Place sliced meat into marinade mix, turning meat several times to allow marinade to completely cover. Lay strips of marinade covered meat in casserole dish. Pour remaining marinade over meat and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. (Cover with foil.)

I use a propane smoker with several chunks of mesquite and several chunks of maple in my wood tray. I also use a water pan in the smoker. Spray smoker grates with non-stick spray and lay marinated meat strips out without edges touching if possible. Smoke jerky at 150 degrees for 2 hours and begin to check progress every 30 minutes afterwards. Remove jerky when you can hold strips at one end and they do not bend. Jerky is done when you purposely bend a strip of the meat and see no dark or oily appearance at the point where it bends.

If you like a full flavored jerky with a little after-bite... you won't be able to make enough of this stuff!
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!