turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Box call question???

Started by jbennett, August 19, 2012, 11:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbennett

Hey guys. I am on the market for a good box call. I have looked at several different calls made by several talented craftsmen over the past few weeks. I know that everybody has their personal favorite and many of our opinions will differ based on our personal preferences. With that being said, I'm simply asking for each of you to give me the specs, maker, and contact info of your favorite call/call maker. I love to admire the beauty in some of these works of art but the fact is that I'm a long ways from being able to afford them. I'm looking at a budget of $100 or less, and preferably less. Please help me if you can.

Thanks

captin_hook

There are plenty of callmakers here and you're not going to have any problems finding a great call on this site. If you can, check the call classifieds. But you are going to get some good direction by the guys on this site.

TRKYHTR

There are not many good custom box calls that are 100 or less. Guys like Watkins, Lapp, Basehore, Paul, are going to be more than 100.00 for their short boxes and about double that for their long boxes. I think Jeff McKamey of twisting creek makes one of the best short boxes out there. I have alot of box calls and I carried one of his this spring. I'm pretty sure you can get a cost style box from him for under 100. I would also look at styger on this forum. He is just beginning his box call making career and he makes a great sounding box call. I am also beginning to start making box calls and have gotten alot more respect for these box call makers. There are many others but thats who I would start with first. Good luck with your search.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Skeeterbait

Check Bill Baublit.  His website is www.bbcustomboxcalls.com He is in your price range, makes excellent looking and sounding calls.  I own three of his boxes in the #102 fine checkering style.  My preferences are walnut over walnut for a clear to light rasp and tigerwood over mahogany for high rasp.  He gets them to you quickly in my experience. He has a unique short boat paddle style box that works very well.  They are compact, easy to carry and make big sound.

Rope

I think,you can get a call from SS calls/Tim Bullock/Shadetree Calls/Twisting Creek,all under your budget,to name just a few. Just need to do a little more research
Freedom is NOT free

gwa

SS Calls makes a really nice field grade box that is all turkey for I believe $55.00. It is a father and son team, Al and Josh Shoemaker. I have a number of their calls and for the money, you can't beat it. I am sure others make comparable calls as well, this callmaker is the one I am most familiar with.

Good luck!

Denny

captin_hook

Just curious, why not start out with a production box.. less money and it will kill em just as good as a custom job. Lynch, Primos, Cody all make decent boxes to hunt with.

jbennett

Quote from: captin_hook on August 20, 2012, 05:59:40 PM
Just curious, why not start out with a production box.. less money and it will kill em just as good as a custom job. Lynch, Primos, Cody all make decent boxes to hunt with.

Not really starting out:) I have several production boxes that I've been using for years and have killed birds with them all. I am really trying to fill my vest with custom made calls, made by turkey hunters for turkey hunters. Just the idea that one individual put his time and sweat into each intricate detail of the call makes it seem like the way to go for me. May be wishful thinking but I think it will add a bit of character to my ever growing collection. Thanks for all of the replies guys.

trb136

There are lots of great callmakers out there...plenty of them in your price range..I have soundfiles on youtube as well as many others do...Jus look and ask around and you will find one to suit you I am sure..

captin_hook

My bad jbennet, I was under the wrong impression. Good luck in your search.

zhlhunter

Scott Wilper makes some great box calls, all around turkey talkers. His prices are great also  and his customer service is also great.  Check his calls out at wilpercustomcalls.com or give him a call 1-816-267-3450

drenalinld

Jerry Zebro makes a great short box for about $65. He has won the Midwest short box competition numerous times. Look great and sound great. The SS field grade is a great choice as well. I have seen several Albert Paul short boxes sold on ebay lately for right around $100, some a little less. You cannot go wrong with one of his.

I would recommend attending expos or hunting shows if you can and run as many boxes as you can get your hands on. That is the best way to buy them when you can run it first and know you like it. If that's not an option, most callmakers would be glad to run some on the phone for you to hear, but it's not the same as running them yourself.

nitro

IMHO,

There is a huge difference in sound quality in a custom box compared to a production. There is very little( if any) hand tuning on a production call.

My personal favorites include- (current makers)

Steve Mann
Darrin Dawkins
JD Harris
Bob Harwell
Billy Bush
Ed Terenfencko
Albert Paul
Jack Scott
Marlin Watkins
Mike Lapp

In the $100 and under range, Jack Scott is the best choice. He makes a great paddle call and the "Scott's Cutter" is pure turkey. Ask for a wormy chestnut box and whatever lid he wants to match to it. Jack has been making calls for many years.
Royal Slam 2008