OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Browning A-5?

Started by Snoody Bastid, August 16, 2012, 12:00:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snoody Bastid

Just wondering if anyone here uses a Browning Auto-5 for turkey? If so, what gauge, choke, shells ect.  I have my eye on a Light Twelve (Japan) with Inv. chokes in great cond. I just love the way these guns come to the shoulder. I want it for grouse/woodcock and might use it on turkeys. Thanks..

chbarnha

oh yeah, A-5 in my opinion is one of the best shooting guns ever made. The humpback makes them come up so nice when they reach your shoulder. I have 4 of them. all 4 are 3 inch magnums. One has a 24 inch barrel two have a 26 inch and one 30 inch. The best shooting of the three is the older one with the 24 inch hastings barrel. I shoot a hastings tube out of that barrel. Cannot remember the constriction right now, but get awesome patterns at 40+ with 5 and 6s. I am not really a numbers guy, but it leaves em dead where they stood. Overall i am sure you will be very pleased with the gun if you get it, and on top of that, the  A-5 is a piece of history. The value just keeps going up on these guns. they may be trying to remake them but the new one will never be the gun the old one was.

Shoot em in the pecker.... you know the beak

ctwny1

For years I shot a A5 for everything and it never skipped a beat. The only reason I stopped shooting it was because my wife and kids bought me a Browning "GOLD".

On my A5 I was shooting a Kicks Gobbling Thunder choke tube and using Winchester #5's in which my son now shoots and it's a real turkey killer.

Even today on my Browning "GOLD" I'm shooting a Kick's Gobbling Thunder with Winchester #5 or Winchester Extended Range #6's.

Sand Man

I've got an original Invector + 30" barrel stalker I'm trying to sell if you know anyone looking for one. 

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

Snoody Bastid

Thanks for all the replys and insight. Yeah, I wanted one for years but never bought one. I was a little worried about using the Light Twelve with turkey loads. The new ones are like apples & oranges compared to the original A-5's. The only thing they share is the name. But hey, that's marketing nostalgia for you..

SumToy

Alot of the guys around use the old plain ones.  Now they old school and like talking to a wall. LOL

We did cut one off and put a 660 in it with HV13 and it put big numbers for a gun that was only around 21 inches. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Snoody Bastid

SUMTOY- That's interesting to know. I figured those guns have been killing turkeys for over 75yrs.
Unfortunately, the one I was looking to purchase was sold hours before I called (story of my life). There are plenty more out there and I'll look you up when I score one.
Thanks again to everyone else for their insight.
Jeff..

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteOn my A5 I was shooting a Kicks Gobbling Thunder choke tube and using Winchester #5's in which my son now shoots and it's a real turkey killer.

Even today on my Browning "GOLD" I'm shooting a Kick's Gobbling Thunder with Winchester #5 or Winchester Extended Range #6's.

Some people look down on Kick's chokes, but I don't.  They are good for the money.  I like Indian Creek better, but they cost 33% more.  Not everyone will pay $80 plus shipping for a choke.