Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Painted my 16 gauge for some turkey action.

Started by KYStalker, August 11, 2012, 01:20:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KYStalker

So after reading about guys camo painting their old guns, I was inspired to bring my old Montgomery and Ward SB-100a 16 gauge out of storage and give it new life as a turkey killer.  It's got a permanent full barrel and is a single shot.  I sanded the finish off the stocks and sanded the blueing off the barrel and action.  A base coat of primer was followed by tan, and then brown, green, and dark green using a sponge.  I've attached before and after pictures, but the before picture is from a similar gun b/c I didn't take before pics of the actual gun.
If you're not first, your last!!

KYStalker

vaturkey

Vaturkey

gobblergls

Very nice job!  I wonder who made the gun for Montgomery and Ward....Savage??  Do you know what year it was made?

KYStalker

I've heard that it was Savage, and I think it was made in the 60's or 70's.  The gun doesn't even have a serial number on it.

Deputy 14

Gold Spur

Woo Pig Sooie!!!

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

CntrlPA

That thing will disappear in the turkey woods!

TrackeySauresRex

:icon_thumright: Very Nice! Did you use a sponge to do that?
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

KYStalker

Yeah, I used a sponge from the craft store.  It was a natural sponge with the really, irregular holes in it.  I also learned to let each layer dry completely before applying the next, b/c I got in a rush to see it completed and didn't let the tan coat totally dry.  It caused the overlapping layers of color to pull away in places when I reassembled the gun.  It's not real noticeable, but I learned a lesson.

Shawn H.

:happy0064: It looks good to me. Need to try one of my guns. :jesus-cross:

albrubacker

The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott