Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Friday Devotional 08/10/2012 "Bitter or Better"

Started by BOFF, August 10, 2012, 01:17:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BOFF

As I wrote last week, some things are out of our control, but we still have the ability to choose HOW we respond, to ALL things. Well lately, I have been trying to be positive and focus on making things better, rather than being bitter in attitude. I was closing the heavy metal gate yesterday evening, and as it moved smoothly on the metal rollers, it crushed my right thumb between the metal post. It immediately turned blackish blue under the nail. Although it hurt, and still is sore today, I got to thinking how fortunate I was overall: My nail was not split in two, like I was sure it would be before I looked at it; I only smashed one thumb, rather than several fingers or my hand; and, it was at the end of the day, with no more physical labor being needed.

I went on to church, and the theme of staying positive, rather than being bitter,  was reiterated again.

Philippians 4:4 (NIV1984)

4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!

Quite an easy verse to remember, but such a powerful verse as well!!

We are not asked, but commanded to rejoice in the Lord. So important, we are told not once, but twice, to rejoice. It does not read to rejoice in the situation, like smashing our thumb. It does not read to rejoice when we feel like it, or when all things are going our way. It does read to REJOICE!! Always!! In the LORD!!!

The speaker at out church mentioned the word "rejoice" and the meaning of doing again, or, to go back- to joy. So, unfortunately, there are going to be some hard times in our lives, whether smashed fingers, poor finances, sickness, or others. There are going to be some times, for some people, to which no joy can be found. Alas, the important part of the verse, " in the Lord"

We as followers of Christ, are able to exhibit, peace, calmness, and joy, in all things!! Our joy, is in Christ. Our being one with Christ, is making the best out of the situations, for HIS glory, not our own. In turning to Christ, we are able to be better, rather than being bitter.  

Do you know Jesus as your personal savior? Do you know this joy in hard times?

Heavenly Father,

Thank you for your encouragement and gentle prompts this week to focus on the positive. Thank you for showing us, the ultimate example of turning something negative in our eyes, the death of your son Jesus, into something positive, our risen, and alive Savior!! Help us to keep or eyes focused upon you, and may your joy overflow at all times. May others around us notice something different, and may your joy be used through our lives in reaching out to others, and proclaiming your salvation and peace.

For it is in Jesus name we ask and claim these things, Amen!!

God Bless,
David B.

Roostem33

Thanks David, I really needed to read this, as the past two weeks have been very trying at best. Thanks for the Word and the reminder!!!

Jody
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)

snoodlum