OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Jordan yelper

Started by TRKYHTR, August 02, 2012, 12:11:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRKYHTR

I was thinking about making a Jordan yelper. From what I read it needs to be a wingbone, cane, and bamboo. Can anyone tell me the difference between cane and bamboo?

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

tistis

I think Cain is what you raise and a baboon is what is in the with house !

870BkWht

Joe,  cane is a southern slang term for bamboo, but cane can also imply or refer to sugar cane.  Bamboo is super strong after drying especially if its flamed. Bamboo was traditionaly used to make fishing poles along with other tools.  Cane could also be more than adequate to make a call from.  I think someone on this board makes a cane yelper from cat tails along the river bank near his hunting area in NC. 

larry9988

Joe, i make cane yelpers. The cane most people refer to is native river cane. There are a couple of different kinds,  the main difference is in how big it gets. the small cane is tecta, the big river cane ic called giganta.Both of these river canes are native to the U.S. They normally grow in wet areas along creeks and rivers, thus the name river cane. The bamboo that most refer to is not native to the U.S.and is from China,called Chinese bamboo and will grow almost any where. Some people use both kinds in a call, i use only native river cane, not saying that it is better, just that i prefer river cane. Hope this helps.  Larry

M Sharpe

If it has a flat side on it, I don't use it. That's bamboo.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

jbrown

What they said Joe, river cane is smaller than bamboo.....I would use a wingbone and 2 pieces of river cane.

pappy

Joe, I have used both, cane is the way to go, I believe the old school yelpers don't have any brass on them, threaded at the joints is an option most are turning to nowadays. I have used Black Cane, it is heavier in the wall thickness then regular river cane, and I like th eblack coloring. I have seen several with wing bone mouthpieces, but I gotta say, that a three piece cane caller is sure pretty....when you make one let's see it...pappy
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206