OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hog Country! (trail cam pics)

Started by lightsoutcalls, July 16, 2012, 10:01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightsoutcalls

They always seem to show up when I'm not around...

These pics are from a Moultrie M-80 and show pic quality of night and day pics.  I put the corn out about a week before this group started showing up.  I hunted it 3 days after I put the feeder out.  There were -0- pics when I hunted it and a nice corn carpet was on the ground.  About 4 days AFTER I was there, they showed up and hit the corn for about 10 days until the corn was gone.  They came at all times of the day, and honestly showed up much more during daylight hours.  There was one small water hole/wallow just out of view to the bottom left of the picture, which is why I chose the setup.  Now the landowner's 8 goats and 4 horses have access to this portion of the 60 acre plot...   This sounder had 2 nice sows and 6 shoates.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Eric Gregg

You better get out there and kill em all or you will have 8 times that number in the next few months :fud:
Those little ones will be mature enough to breed in just a couple of more months.
We are run over with them here in the Delta. Farmers are begging for folks to come kill them. It seemed like a good idea at the time introducing those suckers to the delta. Now they are crop killing nuisances.

Happy Hunting :z-guntootsmiley:

lightsoutcalls

After some considerable debate, I have decided to set my new found hunting spot up to draw the pigs rather than deer.  I figure I have to wait until 9/15 to hunt deer at the earliest, and have several other places where I can do that.  This place is the only place (120 acres with a county road running between 2 -60 acre plots) where I can bait for hogs and shoot them any day of the year with whatever firearm I choose.  I'm starting to see a pattern with it taking the pigs a week to 10 days to really start hitting the corn.  It looks like they come and go throughout the day when undisturbed.  I have permission to hunt the land at night and have a custom built hog hunting light (Texas Boars Sendero light) that gives me the ability to hunt at night as well.
  I plan to start baiting with corn this weekend on a spot where I found several mud rubs on small trees.  The pics above are on the side of the road where she has 4 horses and about 8 goats roaming the woods right now.  I actually have pics of bigger pigs on the side where I plan to bait. 
   There is a young man (18-19) that runs hog dogs in the area, but knows not to run these properties, as I have been baiting and running cameras on them.  He has caught up to a 400 lb sow in the area.  He takes smaller hogs to the livestock auction and sells the BIG (200 lb +) pigs to an outfitter nearby that sells high fence hunts.

dirt road ninja

Looks like your going to bust a few of them. Are you going to try for bear this fall?

lightsoutcalls

Quote from: dirt road ninja on July 19, 2012, 09:59:30 AM
Looks like your going to bust a few of them. Are you going to try for bear this fall?

I would love to... but I am starting to question it.  My brother sold his 4 wheelers that I borrowed last year to get bait down 2 "benches" to the bait site.  Moving it by hand down the inclines would be a real booger.  There would be additional planning involved, clearing a few limbs for a different shot setup... My buddy has the land up for sale where I hunted last year, so there is always the possibility of it selling after I put the work into it...
I may decide to put that effort into the pigs and deer this season.  I also would love to have a bear hide turned into a rug, but don't have the extra $1,200- $1,500 available for it if I did get one.  I'd rather put that money towards a used 4 wheeler so I can get in and out of the rough terrain to actually hunt them...  still undecided.