OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mossberg Factory Sights

Started by mohall64, July 14, 2012, 12:46:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mohall64

Do all Mossberg factory sights shoot too high still at their lowest setting.  The five Mossberg's I have seen in the last couple of years could not be adjusted to point of aim.   Usually about a good foot high by all shooter of the guns.
He will only be bigger next season!!!!

Jacobson

Yes they do. Of the five mossbergs that I have dealt with they all shoot high. Even if you shim the front sight it still does not reach center of the pattern. That is why the first thing I do on mine is order a Truglo Gobble Dot Pro Series fiber optic sight. Mossberg when questioned act like they are surprised at this information. They have refused to resolve this problem in the last seven to eight years that I and my hunting friends have dealt with the shotguns yet they are still a good value IMO.

dirt road ninja

Yep. The factory sight is JUNK. Much can't be said for the rest of the gun, besides they flat out shoot and kill birds. Mine decided to quit ejecting shells this year. She's at the gunsmith now.

woodwzrd

I had the very same problem with mine. It is like the front site is way to short. I eliminated the problem and put a red dot on mine.

Crappiepro

Yep! I have the 535 ATS Tactical and it was the same way. I put a Bushnell scope on mine.

dlewis82nd

Do any of you guys that don't like your junk sights want to let some of them go? Mine got broke off and I'm in need. They have always shot great on my 500.

Olev

This may be more than you want to hear, but this is my story about a high shooting Mossberg. Last year I bought a Mossberg Grand Slam. It was shooting about a foot high a 30 yards. There was no amount of adjustment in the factory sights to bring it down. I put a Truglo red dot on it, zeroed it in, went hunting, and killed a turkey with it. There wasn't anything wrong with the scope, it solved the problem, but I just didn't care for it.... I wanted open sights. A few weeks ago I decided to call Mossberg and see if they had any recommendations for correcting the problem. It was a short conversation. They told me I could send the gun back to them and they would check it out and that was about it. Then I started looking for another set of sights that would hopefully solve the problem. I went with a set of Hi-viz 4 in 1 sights and am very pleased. The top of front sight light tube sits about 3/8 of an inch above the rib. Its probably a quarter of an inch higher than the front factory sight that came on the gun. The rear sight, at it's lowest adjustment is about the same height above the rib as the original factory sight. I shot it with the new sights for the first time a couple of days ago. I took my first shot at at ten yards and it was about two inches low. In comparison, the factory sights were shooting two inches high at ten yards. Long story short.... I adjusted the rear sight up four clicks and it's now shooting dead on. For high point of impact there's only two things you can do.... lower the rear sight or raise the front. The key with these Hi-viz sights resolving my problem is the height of the front sight. I will add one more bit of info about installation while I'm at it. The front sight base attaches to the rib with two screws. One of them goes in the original bead sight hole, but you'll have to drill and tap the second one in the rib. The instructions say that you can use a piece of double sided tape that's included if you don't want to drill and tap the second hole. I didn't have a lot of confidence in double sided tape holding up with the recoil of these guns, so I drilled and tapped the second hole. Hope this helps.           

WildSpur

I must have been lucky.  My 835 was dead nuts right from the factory.  Are you guys doing a 6 o'clock hold?  If not, that could help.

Cluck more, yelp less

Mike Honcho

My 2010 model, 24" 835 is dead nuts on.  My grandsons 500 20 gauge turkey does shoot high.

Wingbone

I acquired a new 835 last year on a trade, factory NIB, shot terribly high with rear sight bottomed out. Had to put a rail and dot on it. Killed turkeys with it. Great gun, not much thought into the sights though. Had a buddy that bought one like mine a week after I got it. He'd never had sights on a shotgun before, so he just figured with it being a scatter gun, why pattern it? He missed two turkeys opening morning and about threw the gun away. Patterned it, 16" high at the 30 yards. He has a scope now. lol
In Hoc Signo Vinces

IndianaGobbler

My 835 had fiber optics on the short barrel and beads on the long I haven't had any real problems out of either barrel as far as the sights are concerned

SGT. Carter

Olev

I've already told my story in length about my high shooting 835.... but this is what I've come away from the experience really not understanding. Wether you like Mossberg's or not the overbored barrels pattern as good or better as any. That's why I bought mine. Of all the discussion I've read, and my own experience I've yet to hear or read where anybody has had a problem with one shooting low. So I have to believe high patterns are not a myth. Here's the part that makes me come away shaking my head. Mossberg markets these guns specifically aimed at turkey hunters. Knowing true patterning and consistant point of impact to point of aim are critical, why in the world would they not insure the sights they put on their turkey models are sufficient to allow for moderate adjustment from the factory, up or down if needed by the shooter. It's not a uncorrectable problem.... just kind of disappointing.

SCDieselDawg

My 935 was a disappointment out of the box. I couldn't get it to pattern at all. Was about to sale it until I shot a big piece of paper and noticed it was shooting nearly a foot high. I just finished installing a red dot on it. Now just got to sight it in in the next couple of days.

perrytrails

Interesting. I won a 535 last year, shot close to a ft high at 30 also.

I called and spoke to several at mossberg myself. They sent me another set of sites. Needless to say the gun was traded.