OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Trumpet vs Wingbone

Started by jblackburn, July 13, 2012, 08:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jblackburn

I have decided that I want to learn the wingbone/trumpet call to add one more weapon to my vest before next year but I have never attempted either.  Are they both about the same difficulty to learn?

I have seen some beautiful trumpets and wingbones on this site, what are some of your favorites? 
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

merocustomcalls

I personally have an easier time playing a trumpet vs a wingbone.  I guess it's because of the turned mouthpiece vs the bone shape.  Some people prefer the bone mouthpiece however.  I might suggest trying one of each and see what you like. 

TRKYHTR

Wingbones have a larger diameter hole that you are drawing air through. This makes it a little more difficult to get quieter. I started calling on wingbones 20+ years ago. I've had to adjust my calling technique a little because I still want to "suck" harder on a trumpet than I really need to. They will both kill turkeys and for some odd reason make hard turkeys gobble when they really don't want to. I do think that wingbones are a little bit more fragile than trumpets. I've cracked several wingbones over the years. Good luck,

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

pappy

Talking about investing.....you'll be investing time in practicing with either caller, drawing in air takes control, the smaller diameter of the trumpet call mouthpiece will help you keep the call quieter as less air is needed, but...........if you are worried about controlling try a wingbone, get used to it then grab a trumpet and note the difference. I like trumpets because they seem easier for me to kee-kee and I would be more apt to use one in the fall. Some folks I know, chicken choke a trumpet, to control some of the intake, which helps in the controling if you would have a problem toning down your air. Technique can be unique....but it will take you many hours of practice either way...good luck, pappy
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

M Sharpe

I carry both with me, but spent more time playing a wingbone this year in the woods. To me a wingbone sounds a little more turkey. Nothing wrong with either though. With either of them, relaxing your lips is the key to getting soft. That and tons of practice. Personally, being able to play a little softer is the only advantage a trumpet has over a wingbone.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

West Augusta

You are making a good decision to add a trumpet or wingbone to your vest.
Tumpets are easier as stated above.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

M Sharpe

Mike Battey, Call Dr, came up with a hybrid mouthpiece for his trumpets. They are flat like those of a wingbone but have a round hole like a trumpet. That way you can control the size of the hole instead of having a hole as big as the bone.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

nitro

Quote from: M Sharpe on July 15, 2012, 04:34:54 PM
Mike Battey, Call Dr, came up with a hybrid mouthpiece for his trumpets. They are flat like those of a wingbone but have a round hole like a trumpet. That way you can control the size of the hole instead of having a hole as big as the bone.

Buice has been making mouthpieces like that for a long time 20+ years or more - in varying internal diameter sizes.

Battey , Buice and Farmer all do a cool V cut on some of their mouthpieces as an option and supposedly adds "rasp"...
Royal Slam 2008

jbrown

I've used both for many seasons, I prefer the trumpet. I like what Joe said!

jblackburn

Thanks for all the information!  I definitely have some homework to do before I buy anything.

I almost feel silly about how much I do not know about wingbones or trumpets as I have been chasing turkeys for several years and feel proficient with a number of different calls!  I have a couple more questions.

As far as sound goes with the trumpets, is there a certain design or even materials that I should look for (or avoid)?  I can understand that different material make calls of differing pitches, but what is a good "standard" to measure by?  I hope that makes sense.

With wingbones, are there differences?  Or do they all sound pretty well the same?

I really am sorry if these are dumb questions!! :)
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

merocustomcalls

Trumpet usually always sound good when made from very heavy dense hardwoods such as rosewoods, blackwoods and ebony woods.  These woods are generally from the hotter equatorial regions around the globe.  The internal dimensions are what determine the sound.  The design on the outside is just for looks. 

strutnrut

Wingbones, Yelpers and Trumpets can be built to any number of different pitches and tones. Myself I like a Trumpet but carry a Yelper at the same time.  There are a lot of guys building suckon calls that can produce a nice sounding call.  Pretty doesn't always cut it. The thing to remember is air control.  I would find who I wanted a call from and call them and tell them what you are looking for. If I was you I would start with a cane yelper and work out from there. To me they can be the best of both worlds and a good starting place. Get ahole of M Sharpe I have been hearing good things about his yelpers.

M Sharpe

As my teacher use to say, "the only dumb questions are the ones that go unasked". These guys are right. Stay away from soft or spalted woods. The ones Brian mentioned are excellent woods.

As for the wingbones and Jordans, the ones I have are gobbler bones but to hear them you'd not know it, they sound like hen turkeys.

Thanks Richard

Mark

strutnrut

Mark
The Good Lord know there are many that didn't even sound like a turkey much less a hen.  :TooFunny:

I like the looks of them shorter one.

JB there are a lot of good callmakers and a few great one, depends on what you are willing to risk ($) and how long you are willing to wait but keep in mind expensive don't mean great. 

lonnie sneed jr.

I have  both, several of each. I think for me one is as easy as the other. For sound, both sound good. My fav. is a cowhorn yelper. Its a wingbone in a piece of tube that goes onto a cowhorn. Like someone above said try both.

:OGturkeyhead: :OGturkeyhead: