OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: calling competition questions.  (Read 4920 times)

Offline Firewhatfire

• Man will fail you, trust only God
    • Phil's Pen Studio
calling competition questions.
« on: July 12, 2012, 11:09:55 PM »
I ask because i have never heard about such events.  If a new call maker (such as myself) wanted a call entered in a competition and needed someone already going to the competition to try it out. 

Is there any events such as this?

do you have to give someone the call and label them Po-Staffer?

Just trying to get some insight.

Being poor and terrible at using calls to begin with, it would be a neat idea for getting a call entered int oa competition.

And so I learned what solitude really was. It was raw material-awesome, mallleable, older than men or worlds or water. And it was merciless- for it let a man become precisely what he alone made of himself.--Gus Orviston

Offline merocustomcalls

• Longbeard
    • merocustomcalls.com
Re: calling competition questions.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 03:43:35 PM »
When you submit a call to a call makers competition, you simply mail the call to the address before the deadline.  You do not have to personally be at the contest to enter.  You can designate someone to drop off the calls in person for you if you are not able to yourself, you have to list this person's name on the contest entry form.  At the contest there will be a panel of judges that score each call individually.  The calls are played by judges and scored accordingly.  While the competition is going on only the judges are allowed in the call room. 

Offline Firewhatfire

• Man will fail you, trust only God
    • Phil's Pen Studio
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 04:48:35 PM »
Thanks for the info.  When and where are some of these? How does one go about finding one?  Does call go in blind or does the maker sign the call?

Phil
And so I learned what solitude really was. It was raw material-awesome, mallleable, older than men or worlds or water. And it was merciless- for it let a man become precisely what he alone made of himself.--Gus Orviston

Offline merocustomcalls

• Longbeard
    • merocustomcalls.com
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 09:28:13 PM »
All entries must be signed and dated by the call maker.  The calls must be made within the past year. 

Midwest Nationals is the second largest contest and takes place during the Wisconsin State NWTF convention in Wisconsin Dells.  It is usually held around the 2nd weekend in January.  Earl Duckett is the contact for the contest.  I'm not sure what his email address is but you can get it from the WI state NWTF staff.  http://www.nwtf-wi.org/  He can add you to the mailing list of call makers when it's time to send out entry forms

Grand Nationals is by far the largest contest and takes place around the 2nd weekend at the NWTF national convention in Nashville.  I believe the contact is Karen Cavender.  http://www.nwtf.org/contact_us/ 

Southeast Nationals is the third largest contest and takes place around the first weekend of March in Raleigh, NC.  I believe "heatman" on this forum is the contact for that contest. 

Many states have statewide competitions themselves.  You'd have to inquire with them individually if and when they are held.