OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

DIY Shotgun Camo Paintjob Chronicles

Started by 870BkWht, July 08, 2012, 01:37:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

allaboutshooting

Quote from: BHMTitan on July 11, 2012, 11:59:09 AM
Quote from: 870BkWht on July 10, 2012, 10:53:27 PM
Can anyone thats done this tell me what kind of sealer or matte finish they used?  I looked at ace and found some deft, also looked at walmart and found some Krylon matte satin finish, but I still need some ideas on this part.
I found / used a flat clear coat spray.  My advise is to only use 3 or 4 thin coats of the clear, and let dry completely between coats.  I found that more coats eventually lead to a white, powderly look to the clear coat.

Here's the results of my DIY paint job:
http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,14182.msg157152.html#msg157152

That's a great looking job.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Crappiepro

Nice job! All the guns in the links and pictured look good guys!

Old Gobbler

You did a nice job on that , thanks for the tutorial  :icon_thumright:
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

870BkWht

Finally fished the ole Remington.  I decided that I would lightly spray 1 coat of a Krylon Satin clear coat and it turned out nice.  The picture was taken on my desk in my basement under the shop light and the flash of the camera makes it look super shiny, but I promise its not that way.  It looks good propped up against a tree, and hopefully Ill be able to take a picture of it along side a bird this October. Overall Im pleased with it, and it looks way better than it did when I got this gun. 

This picture shows better that theres no glare to it. 

870BkWht

I also want to thank those that put in their 2 cents because all of you had great ideas, suggestions, experiences, etc, for me to work with and from all leading me to something Im happy with.  Thanks again.

Old Gobbler

The inked outline on the stencil leaves looks sharp
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

gatrkyhntr70

<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

lowoctane

I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

870BkWht

Quote from: Old Gobbler on July 17, 2012, 12:10:21 AM
The inked outline on the stencil leaves looks sharp

Believe it or not it's actually colored pencil. 

TrackeySauresRex

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

albrubacker

The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

CntrlPA

Looks good! I've never had the ca-hones to attempt painting one of my guns!

870BkWht

Quote from: CntrlPA on July 17, 2012, 05:50:27 PM
Looks good! I've never had the ca-hones to attempt painting one of my guns!

It really wasnt that hard or anything.  Its kinda like a roller coaster because you get excited about what the finished product might look like, then you hit rock bottom during the prep stage after its all sanded down and just bare wood/plastic/metal and it looks bad, I mean really bad.  Then in a matter of a few days, its all up hill from there because it just keeps looking better and better and all of a sudden your done.  I want to do another one, but I really dont know which one to do.

bigredneck61088

very nice!! makes me want to redo mine!