OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Catfishing Help

Started by njdevilsb, June 29, 2012, 05:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njdevilsb

We are going out in the boat in the morning.  There is a long stretch of river that we usually start on or end up on that connects to a semi small lake.We catch quite a few Small Northerns and and Bass in the river itself and a few out on the lake.  The river flows very slow with virtually no noticable current.  I'm hoping to find a spot and get a few catfish.  I have verified on the DEC website that this stretch is supposed to contain channel cats, but I wouldn't know the first thing about where to start.  I have only ever caught one cat in my life.  Do you guys have any suggestions on what I should look for as far as a good spot for them?  Do store bought stink type baits work or are regular old worms a better choice?

CASH

I use minnows on homemade "jugs" made out of swimming noodles.

Catdaddy is the Catfish King
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

Tail Feathers

I'm no expert on them, but look for them in holes, undercuts, under logs, along the bottom.  Stink baits and dead stuff attract them but they've been known to hit about anything.

Watch those fins! :anim_25:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

FANMAN

We like chicken livers ...they don't like to stay on the hook,so we lay em out on a piece of plastic,in the sun , and let em jerky up for a day or so.Awesome bait.Put a sinker on the end of your line,tie a 10 inch leader 3 foot above the sinker.
  Good luck.

redarrow

Jugs and smoked sausage chunks .

FANMAN

Quote from: redarrow on June 29, 2012, 07:15:38 PM
Jugs and smoked sausage chunks .

I'm kinda embarrassed to say this Red...but...I'd rather eat your fish bait then the fish you catch.

njdevilsb

Thanks for the replies.  We'll see what happens.  I have tried fresh chicken liver before and wrapped it in bait mesh.  I have a couple of leftover hot dogs, maybe that'll do the trick.

Preacher

get some cautaba (spelling anit right) worms that live on cautaba worm trees,  or crawfish ,  get something thats alive or was once alive , 
Romans 8:37

redarrow

Quote from: Preacher on June 30, 2012, 08:54:54 AM
get some cautaba (spelling anit right) worms that live on cautaba worm trees,  or crawfish ,  get something thats alive or was once alive , 

You can put those worms in a margarine tub with milk and freeze them to use later. Us yankees call them cigar trees.LOL

TheTwistedOne

Quote from: CASH on June 29, 2012, 05:30:43 PM
I use minnows on homemade "jugs" made out of swimming noodles.

Catdaddy is the Catfish King

Jugs are good but check your game laws first.  Jugs aren't legal in every state.  In some states where they are legal it is illegal to use live bait on them.

Kylongspur88

Chicken livers and hot dogs  are what I've had luck with. Catalpa worms are good too if you can find some.

R AJ

The channel where the lake flows into the river is a good start. Also the point on the down current side out into the drop off into the river is good. If you don't get bit within 15 minutes then MOVE.

jblackburn

The cheapest, greasiest hotdogs are good bait for channels and blues. Live goldfish or bluegill for flatheads. I like using jugs, trot lines, and bank poles.  Bends of the river are good where there are deeper holes.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

flintlock

If there are northerns in the river you are fishing up north.  Cut bait is good as well, and the Northerns will also pick it up.

Good luck
Wess
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

870FaceLift

Quote from: FANMAN on June 29, 2012, 06:20:44 PM
We like chicken livers ...they don't like to stay on the hook,so we lay em out on a piece of plastic,in the sun , and let em jerky up for a day or so.Awesome bait.Put a sinker on the end of your line,tie a 10 inch leader 3 foot above the sinker.
  Good luck.

Baking the livers in the sun is one really good option.  You can also drain the tub they come in, take out the livers, and put them back in with layers of table salt between them.  If you let them salt up for a week or so, they become very workable.
Pass it on...