OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Husk tomato - Ground Cherry - Tomatillo

Started by lightsoutcalls, June 28, 2012, 09:43:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightsoutcalls

While out scouting and putting up a couple of trail cameras, I ran across a plant that I thought I recognized in the woods.  I planted a couple of tomatillo plants in my garden this year, which I bought at a local feed store.  The plant I found in the woods had very similar structure, very similar flowers and the little paper lantern looking husks hanging below.  I picked one off and opened the husk to find a green, pea sized husk tomato.  I squished it just to be sure... sticky...  Yep!  I found wild husk tomatoes, or tomatillos growing in a cottonwood stand along the river.  Hopefully my tame ones are going to come through for me.  I have lots of the paper lanterns, but several have dropped off before producing fruit inside.  Here's a link to wykepedia to check them out.  Strangely, the ones pictured (in wykepedia article) are much smaller than what I found and what I have in my garden.  The ones in the woods were probably about 2 feet tall.  The ones in my garden are closer to 3 feet tall.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physalis

Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

redarrow

I see them in the woods quite often around here. Never gave them a second thought. Are the wild ones edible ?

lightsoutcalls

Once the husks turn brown, they should be ripe.  They are edible.  I have read articles that say if they have a bitter taste, don't eat them.  They should have a tangy taste and make great salsa.  I use the store-bought tomatillos to make a "salsa verde" with oven roasted tomatillos, jalapenos and garlic.  Once they all have a slightly blackened crust on one side, turn them over and blacken the other.  Throw them in a blender, then add finely chopped onion and cilantro to the blended mix when you pour it out. 

OMG, I'm making myself hungry...
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!