turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Questions for the Legends...

Started by jbennett, June 27, 2012, 01:55:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbennett

I have been doing a great deal of reading here lately, and I just can't seem to get enough info to find satisfactory depth for the pool of turkey based knowledge I'm searching in. To say that I'm addicted to the thought of the wild turkey would be an understatement. I am absolutely fascinated by these birds and the writings of Joe Hutto, Tom Kelly, and Lovette Wiliams are feeding this addiction heavily. I am wanting to try a new take on turkey hunting this year. I plan to spend the miserably hot months of summer soaking up knowledge rather than sun.
    In addition to learning what makes old' Tom tick, I want to find out what makes the successful "pioneer" hunter tick. I am the first in my family to take up the sport/lifestyle and was thinking of maybe searching out the few remaining turkey hunting legends around these parts and beg for a few moments of their time. Just simply a sit down, some stories, and possibly even a question answer session if permitted. Hopefully I can find a few that don't swear by the "live and learn" mentality. While I understand that most of my mistakes will have to be made while alone in the woods and that many lessons will be learned through this method, I also see great value in the wealth of wisdom that they will hopefully be willing to share. If any of you guys (some of which are the "legends" I'm referring to) have any leads to help identify a mentor or two, please feel free to pm me a name. Thanks in advance for your help and wish me luck.

captin_hook

Where are you located? I'm no legend but I can point you in the direction of a few if you're near Pennsylvania.

davisd9

No legend here either, that would be my mentor 2ounce6s, but I am willing to help you in any way I can.  I have been hunting these majestic animals for about 8 years now and have learned a lot.  I believe that if you ever believe that you have learned it all that you do not know what you are truly doing.  Hunting these birds is not a recreational activity but a way of life.  I actually long to be back out there.  I have been getting withdrawls pretty rough this week but as deer season closes in on me it will get better and then November will roll around and I will be a lost soul waiting on March and April to get here.  Feel free to PM me or ask anything and I will do my best to help you.  I hunt SC.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Woodsman4God

Hanging out here is a great start, as you said there are a few of those Legends here that will probably forget more about turkeys than I will ever know. But their are alot of guys here who may not be legends but are very wise in their knowledge of turkeys and turkey hunting. Good luck and

:welcomeOG:

FANMAN

You,my friend need to talk to Ronnie's Mom.  :icon_thumright:

GobbleNut

I am legendary for figuring out how to screw up the most sure-fire turkey hunting set-ups, so I can help you out really well.  ....Just ask me how to do anything and then do the exact opposite of what I say and you will be fine...     :toothy12: :icon_thumright:    :newmascot:

jblackburn

I'm a legend in my own mind, does that count?   :funnyturkey:

It sounds like you really want some face time with experienced hunters, but this forum is loaded with great information and great people.  To get your quest for knowledge started, I think you should start asking questions here.

Maybe I missed it, but where are you located?
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

ccleroy

Your teacher is in the woods, kill him when you get him close and move onto another one.

captin_hook

Quote from: ccleroy on June 27, 2012, 01:06:37 PM
Your teacher is in the woods, kill him when you get him close and move onto another one.
:icon_thumright:

Tail Feathers

I'm a legend in my own mind... :TooFunny:

Seriously, you should interview "Guess who's" mom.  She would make an interesting chapter I bet!
Guess Who would make a chapter of his own, as would catdaddy.

And our own Hookspur is as good a turkey hunter as I've ever met.
And look up Joe Slaton.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

jbennett

Thanks for the replies and I live in North MS.

Shotgun

Quote from: jbennett on June 28, 2012, 04:12:31 PM

If you got some good hunting land I'll be glad to share a tree with you and teach you all I know around March 15th  ;D

honker22

CATDADDY would be a logistically close legend.  One of these days, I'm gonna take a fist pump pic with him
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

barry

There are some sho nuff turkey killers on here that could be considered legends.
Ask a few questions here on the site first, everybody here is willing to share a little knowledge, that is unless you hunt the same ground that they do :)

CASH

Quote from: honker22 on June 28, 2012, 11:02:21 PM

CATDADDY would be a logistically close legend.  One of these days, I'm gonna take a fist pump pic with him

:agreed:
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.