turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mineral Licks For Deer.

Started by redarrow, June 26, 2012, 02:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redarrow

Seems like someone posted how to make your own mineral lick awhile back but I can't find it. Any suggestions ?As I recall it was dirt cheap compared to the store bought stuff.

lightsoutcalls

2 - 50 lb bags red mineral salt
1 - 50 lb  bag white salt
1 - 50lb bag calcium diphosphate

Saw it a couple of years back on a website
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

dirt road ninja

lightsoutcalls

Interesting twist.  I may have to try it.  Thanks for posting the old link.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Skeeterbait

I am all for providing for the deer herd and other game, but for anyone reading that might not know, check your regs in your state if you intend to hunt near such a lick as it won't be legal in some states, Alabama for sure.

Alabama allows plain white salt only.  Anything else, and the law is very vague as to how close to such a lick you can be.  It is pretty much left to the discretion of the officer that if he feels a deer could have been drawn down trails where you are hunting in route to the lick then you will be guilty of baiting.

redarrow

Thanks guys. Here in Mi. the biologist that I have spoken to are of the opinion that the lick are a spring/summer thing. Not really a draw in the late fall and winter.Still I need to check the regs. thanks.

Wingbone

For nutrition, the second post is the way to go. We use a bag of trace mineral(red salt), bag of feed salt(white salt), bag of calcium phosphate, and a bag of Soda Ash in each lick site. But, really if you just want something to keep deer in an area or for trail cam purposes in the off season, the Soda Ash can be used alone. I used it for years before ever adding any salt or calcium to the mix, and to be honest, I've seen the same results either way. You'll end up with a big hole in the ground.
In Hoc Signo Vinces

redarrow

Is white salt the same as table salt?

jblackburn

I use cattle mineral from the farm and home store.  Pretty well exactly the same thing as deer mineral.  In fact, the last block I bought had the exact same ingredients (and percentages) as trophy rock.  It was also the same price, except my block was 50 lbs not 12!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

stone road turkey calls

same here in ga, it,s rare to find a deer at a lick in the winter it's for sure a spring summer thing. I don't see where buying all that stuff is cheaper than a few $10.00 blocks at the feed store. just don't buy the michael wadell realtree mossy oak super delux mineral block for $60.00 :TooFunny:
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

honker22

If any of you make your own homeade ice cream in the old makers, with the ice and rock salt... Save the salt water and pour it on an old stump and watch the deer eat it up... too good to waste a good thing

For a good mineral lick, you can also buy a bag of cattle mineral which contains about 25% salt, and use it.  I've never had much luck finding all of the other components at our local feed stores.  a 50 lb bag, makes 3-4 licks and you can refresh 2 months later.
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

drenalinld

The dical phosphate recipe was formulated to closely match the mineral analysis of deer antlers. They will seek it out in the Spring and Summer, but I didn't see activity in the Fall. The dical phosphate can be tough to find and is a little expensive for the results I saw.

Skeeterbait

Quote from: redarrow on June 26, 2012, 03:55:04 PM
Is white salt the same as table salt?

Table salt is approved pure for human consumption, but yes table salt, rock salt and pure white salt from the livestock store in bags or blocks is the same chemically.  Table salt is sometimes iodized but I have been told by local warden that they do not consider that a "mineral salt"  There are some in Alabama who believe trophy rock is OK because it is mined "as is" and has not been manipulated by adding mineral.  I have not personally heard a definitive opinion on this from DNR.

Of course anything is OK if your not hunting over it.  We just have a problem in Alabama because the law is so vague.  And you are correct, deer only seem to use it in spring and summer.  But that is not a consideration in our regs whether they are using it at the time you are hunting.

redarrow

Anybody know what is in water softener salts. I just remembered my bil dumped his on a stump and they ate it up.

Basin_hunter

I tried the water softener salt and it worked great ! I use 50lb trace mineral salt blocks from the feed store. This is the time of the year they really hammer the mineral sites ! I will prolly put a couple cameras out on them next month.
In fall we rut, in spring we strut