OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mossberg 500 patterns?

Started by GaryO, June 25, 2012, 12:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaryO

I would like to purchase an inexpensive shotgun to hunt turkeys and for home defense. I know that there are plenty of accessories for that gun, but how do they pattern at 40 yards? I keep reading about those great pattern densities in high dollar gas guns, but very little about the Mossberg 500. What say you? Thanks...
Gary O

NRA Member

davisd9

I think the 500 is a good gun and with the right choke, Pure Gold or Indian Creek, you can get a good shooting gun with Hevi 6s or Mag Blends.  Clean the barrel really well and I think you will be happy with the 500.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

hardluckstrutter

A couple of years ago my wife won a Mossberg 500 w/ 24" ported barrell at an NWTF event and I have never owned a Mossberg or thought to highly of them (Grew up on an 870). But decides to experiment with it. So, I put a .660 Primos Jellyhead and shot 3" Hevi13 #7's. Also, put a a set of gamereaper mounts w/ a Nikon BTR Turkey scope. This gun far exceeded my expectations. Shot in the high 200's at 40 yds. Granted, I believe this has alot to do with the LOT # from Hevi-Shot. But, the potential is there with good shells.

On a side note: If you plan to scope a Mossberg 500 try to avoid gamereaper mounts. Dont get me wrong. I love gamereapers. But the scope will sit over the thumb safety on the comb and trust me the gun will go out of safe just fine but getting it back on safe is another story. Especially when your thumbs resemble plump sausage links, as mine do!

Hope this helps!  

SumToy

They are good guns.  I have seen them go big numbers with a good choke.   :anim_25:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

allaboutshooting

Quote from: GaryO on June 25, 2012, 12:26:18 PM
I would like to purchase an inexpensive shotgun to hunt turkeys and for home defense. I know that there are plenty of accessories for that gun, but how do they pattern at 40 yards? I keep reading about those great pattern densities in high dollar gas guns, but very little about the Mossberg 500. What say you? Thanks...

They work. I'd also add that it's very important to clean the bore. I recommend "deep cleaning" and making sure that the bore is shiny before taking it to the range. The time you spend working on it will pay off in better patterns.

I own a couple 500s and I've had really good patterns with the Hevi-13 chokes and the SSX turkey chokes, using 3" Hevi-13 shells with 2 oz. of #6 or #7 shot.

I like the 26" or longer barrels on those guns.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

R AJ

Functionally I have no problem. Some guy named Patrick Flannigan is using Mossberg exclusively along with a Jerry Micuselek. Spelling may be off but these guys rely on Mossberg for their livelihood.

They are very acceptable for turkey hunting especially when using a choke like a Sumtoy in them. Boom - pick it up-dead bird.

mohall64

The Mossberg 500 is a very good turkey gun with the right aftermarket choke added.  Besides the chokes others have mentioned you might want to look at Carlson choke tubes.  They are very affordable and shoot great patterns.
He will only be bigger next season!!!!