turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What scope to get?

Started by autoxr84, March 01, 2011, 01:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

autoxr84

I am a true newbie to turkey hunting.  Never been but I finally got someone to go with me and show me the ways!  So any additional info will be appreciated.  LOL  But I have recently got a Mossberg 500 20" and am looking to get a scope for it but don't know where to begin.  So I was wondering what would a good scope for it.  The only things to consider is the cheaper the better,go figure huh, has to be camo, and I still want to be able to use open sights, I like the fiber optics way too much to not be able to use them.  But any info toward this would be great  :D  Thanks!!!

Reloader

Looks like you'll have to go with a saddle if you want to use the open sights as well.   I like the Nikon Monarch 1.5-4.5x20.  It's discontinued, but still several on the net for purchase.

The recoil of a shotgun warrants good glass IME.

mike103

What do you think of the new Nikon turkey scope that replaced it?

Reloader

More bulky and weighs more.

I prefer a scope to any sight, but they don't make them light enough.  That's why the only scope I run now is the Nikon Monarch as it only weighs around 8oz IIRC.

The Fast Fire is my favorite sight, but I would much rather have a scope if there was an option in the 4oz range.

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: Reloader on March 01, 2011, 02:50:28 PM
Looks like you'll have to go with a saddle if you want to use the open sights as well.   I like the Nikon Monarch 1.5-4.5x20.  It's discontinued, but still several on the net for purchase.

The recoil of a shotgun warrants good glass IME.

x2 on the Monarch!!! I like mine so much that I bought another one for a spare just in case something would ever happen to the old one.

mike103

Thanks for the replies.

How about eye relief? The new one is listed as 5". The older one 4".

What do you guys think?

It will be used on a Remington 870 Supermag.

Mostly with 3" but might throw a 3 1/2" once in a while.

1iagobblergetter

I originally had mine mounted for several years on my 870 express set up for deerhunting then mounted it on my T/C Encore for turkeys and have never have had a problem.