turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New deer stand

Started by dirt road ninja, June 24, 2012, 05:37:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirt road ninja

Out of boredom. I decide to start building a new box stand for my son and I. It will be replacing a old one that was already on the property when we got it. It going to be 4x6x6 and sitting on blocks. The spot is on top of a hill watching over a break in the ridge. We've killed several nice bucks outa there in the past. I got the base framed in 2x6's with 1/2 plywood floor. Already primed the bottom with kilns and will paint once that dries. Then flip it over and prime and paint the other side. All the wood is treated lumber from Home depot, which sucks, they've got to have the worst lumber. I've built plenty in the past and no two are the same. Seems like I change a few things up every time. The next one is going to be 4x5x6 and sit 12 feet in the air. Well I'm 76 bucks into this one and will post pics and updates of any one is interested.

JVA54

It's hard to think about deer season yet, it's hot dry here and my yard is brown. the corn around here is looking bad, some of the farmer's are talking about collecting there insurance and plowing it under, going to be a strange year with no corn to hunt over!  Post us some pic's of your stand's.

davisd9

Would love to see the stand.  Going on the Hill?

Hate to hear about the corn.  Our corn here is SC is some of the most beautiful we have had in a long time.  Good wet summer.  Will try to get a picture of it and post it.  Hope the farmers are not set back too bad.  My father in law is a farmer and is going to have a great year.  Everything was 2 weeks early this year due to the warm winter and spring and the rain.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Turkeykiller12

Ain't nothing like building those box stands. We did that for a couple of seasons and had some of the best stands you could ask for. I hope you and your son kill some big deer from that stand.

dirt road ninja

Got the walls and windows framed up and everything has been primed. I built the front with 2 windows, each one is 15" wide x 8" tall. The side windows are 20" wide x 8" tall. I framed the outside of the windows with 1x4's, and that shrunk them up a little. The back wall  has no windows and the door is 2' x 5'10" in the center of the wall.  I'll post some pic's this week, but got busy with other stuff and hadn't got a chance to take any.

Also all the windows are 36" from the floor. It's a little lower than we've done in the past, but 95% of the rifle hunting I do my son does the shooting.

I was think of using some sort of plexi glass for the windows. What do y'all think about that? I've never tried it before.

dirt road ninja

Well, my buddy skip and I just about have it done. All that's left is putting the tin on the roof and hang the windows. It came out alright, somewhere along the line we lost square, but not too bad.

Here's a pic of the front wall from the inside.

The back before camo.

The back after camo.

The front.

The side.

davisd9

Cannot wait to see the picture of the good buck you son shoots out of the stand.  It looks great!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

JVA54

Look's good dirt road it turn out nice!!

dirt road ninja

Got it out Saturday. Took a little extra work to get it level, all in all it came out nice. I will never use PVC roofing agian.

Thanks

davisd9

Quote from: dirt road ninja on July 16, 2012, 08:57:13 AM
Got it out Saturday. Took a little extra work to get it level, all in all it came out nice. I will never use PVC roofing agian.

Thanks

That pine right in front of it looks like a great spot for my gobbler lounger.  :icon_thumright:

It is looks great man!  Hope you and your boy kill a dandy out of it!

dirt road ninja

Thanks. That pine tree is about as good a spot as any to kill a longbeard. I bet I saw no less then 10 different gobblers on that ridge last year. One morning last fall Rusty and I stopped counting jakes at 17. The were like ants.