OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Built my own computer today!

Started by busta biggun, June 23, 2012, 10:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

busta biggun

I kept trying to find a pre-built computer that had all the things I needed for video editing. Never could find one that had what I needed and when I did, they had way too much other junk I didn't need or they were way too expensive. I ended up building my own with exactly what I needed. I am no geek and not real technical, but I was able to do it. I am so excited! Never thought I would be able to do it by myself.

HARDCORE

What did your build consist of, CPU, GPU, PSU, RAM, etc?

I built one myself about this time last year, I too found it about impossible to find a pre-built that meet my needs.

Heres what I put together

CPU - AMD 980 Phenom II X4 Processor

GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD SuperClocked DDR5 2GB

PSU - TR2 RX Modular Black Widow 850W

RAM - Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4GB Dual Channel X4 (16GB)

HDD - Dual Seagate Barracuda Hard Drives - 1.5TB, 7200RPM (3TB)

BURNER - Dual LG BD (Blu-ray) DVD/CD Reader/Writers

HC

busta biggun

Hey Hardcore! That's a nice rig. Looks like you do some gaming!

I am going to be doing a lot of video editing so I ended up with the following:

CPU - i7 3960X w/ Corsair H100 liguid cooler
GPU - NVidea Quadro 4000
PSU - Corsair Gold AX1200W
RAM - Corsair Vengeance (32GB)
HDD - 256 Solid State Boot Drive, 4TB External RAID striped in RAID10
Burner - Plextor BD

I gotta tell you thuis is my first time and I will honestly say I was scared! I was afraid I would do something slightly wrong and ruin something, or turn it on and nothing happened. It was easier than I thought and I saved a bunch! I am pretty excited.

guesswho

I plugged my own computer in this morning!
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

jblackburn

Quote from: guesswho on June 24, 2012, 04:53:13 PM
I plugged my own computer in this morning!

I got one on you!  I found the power button on mine!  :turkey2:
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Turkey Trot

Quote from: busta biggun on June 23, 2012, 10:55:53 PM
I kept trying to find a pre-built computer that had all the things I needed for video editing. Never could find one that had what I needed and when I did, they had way too much other junk I didn't need or they were way too expensive. I ended up building my own with exactly what I needed. I am no geek and not real technical, but I was able to do it. I am so excited! Never thought I would be able to do it by myself.

How long did it take you to load the O/S, all the drivers, the productivity software, and other apps?
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

Hognutz

You guys are definitely over-achievers..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

busta biggun

"How long did it take you to load the O/S, all the drivers, the productivity software, and other apps?"

Probably an hour or so. I had gotten all the drivers loaded on a memory stick.

TheTwistedOne

Yep you probably saved a bundle.  Now if a component quits working you know how to replace it.

I have had my best luck editing video with ATI graphics cards.  Nvidea makes great gamer cards but I've had issues with them not being compatible with editing software.  Hope that's no issue for you.

honker22

When Hardcore Ronnie isn't killing turkeys or balancing tires, you can find him playing World of Warcraft and other various fantasy role playing games  :TooFunny:
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

busta biggun

Quote from: TheTwistedOne on June 26, 2012, 04:16:17 PM
Yep you probably saved a bundle.  Now if a component quits working you know how to replace it.

I have had my best luck editing video with ATI graphics cards.  Nvidea makes great gamer cards but I've had issues with them not being compatible with editing software.  Hope that's no issue for you.

I specifically picked NVidea quadro due to the mercury playback engine used in Premier Pro CS6. Video cards are definitely important and different editing programs work best with different cards. BTW, all of the individual components have warranties, etc. but if they fail past warranty I will know how to replace them.

CASH

Quote from: honker22 on June 26, 2012, 04:35:21 PM
When Hardcore Ronnie isn't killing turkeys or balancing tires, you can find him playing World of Warcraft and other various fantasy role playing games  :TooFunny:

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

Old Gobbler

I stayed in a holiday inn one time
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

HARDCORE

Quote from: honker22 on June 26, 2012, 04:35:21 PM

Max Payne 3 in 3D is where it's at.  ;)

HC