turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

GPS Advice/Help.

Started by Hognutz, June 23, 2012, 10:50:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hognutz

I am considering buying a GPS for my vehicle. I really don't know the first thing about them. I use the one in my boat, but have never used one for navigating on land. Which make/model would you recommend? Garmin, Magellan, TomTom, etc. I guess something in the $200-$250 price range, or so.
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Skeeterbait

I have gone the top end route and the low end route.  I see no reason any more to buy the high end models  or models with lifetime map updates.  I would recommend buying the least expensive large screen model you can get and replace it completely every 3-4 years.  The technology is changing too fast to drop big money into a single unit.  No point in ever buying a map update when the updates can cost as much as a new low end model.  Get your map update with a new unit and up to date technology every 3-4 years.

I am running a low end TomTom XXL model now I got off Amazon for $89 and it works great.  Garmins are also excellent.

Hognutz

Thanks for the input, Skeeter. I am looking at a Garmin 2555 on Amazon. It is $185 with lifetime updates. That's $35 cheaper than Cabelas has it for.

WiLL B

ctwny1

I have been using a Magellan Roadmate for years and it works great. But on my Evo cell phone I have a GPS and that works just as good and I prefer to use that now.

Clif Owen

Garmins are great..I have one and highly recommend it.

vaturkey

Garmin !  :icon_thumright:   I've had one for 4 or 5 yrs. Never had a second of trouble with it. Good luck Mike with whatever you decide on !

vaturkey   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

TRKYHTR

Garmin Nuvi. I use it every day with no problems.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Wingbone

Quote from: Skeeterbait on June 23, 2012, 12:01:18 PM
I have gone the top end route and the low end route.  I see no reason any more to buy the high end models  or models with lifetime map updates.  I would recommend buying the least expensive large screen model you can get and replace it completely every 3-4 years.  The technology is changing too fast to drop big money into a single unit.  No point in ever buying a map update when the updates can cost as much as a new low end model.  Get your map update with a new unit and up to date technology every 3-4 years.

I am running a low end TomTom XXL model now I got off Amazon for $89 and it works great.  Garmins are also excellent.

X2. My wife and I both have low end Garmins and after four years we are running into situations where roads are missing or new ones aren't showing up ad options. By the time we get all the updates we could buy a couple brand new units of the same price range.
In Hoc Signo Vinces

Hognutz

Thanks for all the input, gentlemen!! I decided on buying the Garmin 2555 (It has a 5" screen), from Amazon. It has free lifetime updates, and is reasonably priced, at $185. Thanks for all the help. You guys, rock!! Mike :thanks:

bird

I just use the navigator on my cell phone.

whiskey

Quote from: AngryBird on June 24, 2012, 11:35:56 AM

I have gotten into trouble doing this on business trips a couple times. Hit some areas with no coverage or no data and it's dead in the water. Also, can't navigate while talking on the phone. Just some things to consider. I still use my phone a ton, but I keep the TomTom close too.

Hognutz

Quote from: AngryBird on June 24, 2012, 11:35:56 AM

I'm taking a vacation in Canada. The roaming charges would be astronomical if I used the cell phone.