OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pure Gold Tempest 12 gauge chokes

Started by decoykrvr, June 21, 2012, 02:52:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

decoykrvr

The Pure Gold Tempest chokes were designed to maximize the efficiency of the Federal shells with the Revolutionary FLITECONTROL Wad.  I've read and heard little about the success or failure of this choke in 12 gauge guns, and would appreciate any feedback.

bird

I have one, just haven't tried it yet.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: decoykrvr on June 21, 2012, 02:52:01 PM
The Pure Gold Tempest chokes were designed to maximize the efficiency of the Federal shells with the Revolutionary FLITECONTROL Wad.  I've read and heard little about the success or failure of this choke in 12 gauge guns, and would appreciate any feedback.
It has been a well received turkey choke, at least judging from my sales of them, especially considering what seems to be very low volume of sales of the FH 12 gauge shells, compared to others on the market.

I'd also add that 20 gauge sales have been much higher than the 12s. That seems also to follow the sales volumes of those shells.

Several shooters who purchased those chokes for use with FH shells have also switched to Hevi-13 shells and seen excellent results with them.

Thanks,
Clark

"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

packmule

I have a .670 tempest choke and I tested it with the Federal FCW 2" #5 shells. . . .it gave good results but the .643 SSX choke was substantially better with those loads.  I had a small stash of the old Federal 2" #5 shells and the Tempest shot those REALLY well.  That was the combination I used  this turkey season with great results.  Overall I'm happy with the tempest choke but patterning with my BPS (26" barrel) suggests that it may not be the best choke for the FCW shells.  That's not to put the tempest choke down, I really do like it.

Hope this helps!

gobbler74

Choke performance varies in different guns as well. One model same diameter will pattern different in varying guns. Dont base how well a choke performs on just one guns performance. Barrel length, pellet size are also factors to consider. Take 4 different shotguns for example with varying bore or barrel length you will more than likely end up with a mix of choke brands that give you what you want. The "best" choke for you and what pattern you want comes with a lot of shooting. 
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

Fullfan

I had one and sent it back. I ran it through both of my 11-87's Shooting the Federal Heviweight #6 and #7 shot the best i could do was 120ish at 40.  My guns have the 21" pipe and are both polished. ( 3")

On the other hand I did have better results with the truelock choke that was built just for the Federal Heviweight #7's I can get 150-160 at 40 all day with both guns.
Don't gobble at me...