Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Shipping fees - what's most important to you?

Started by lightsoutcalls, June 20, 2012, 02:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

As a buyer, which option best describes your thoughts on shipping method and related fees?

Lowest cost PERIOD!
11 (23.4%)
Ability to track package and having item insured is worth a couple of extra dollars.
36 (76.6%)
I don't buy anything that must be shipped.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 45

lightsoutcalls

As a person who must ship packages with frequency, I am trying to gather information from folks who order items that must be shipped.  For argument sake, let's say the items you are purchasing cost anywhere from $20 to $100.  You are ordering an item or items that are made by hand according to your specifications, and cannot be immediately replaced if the item is lost or damaged in route.

Again, for the sake of this poll, the difference in cost for shipping may vary, but would be approximately $3-$4 per box.  With this increase in cost, you would be able to have a tracking number that you can actually track from a website on a daily basis to see the package location.  With this increased cost, you would also receive up to $100 insurance on the item, which is not included at the lower shipping cost.  The shipping time would likely be similar, but possibly one day quicker with the increased shipping cost. 

Are there any deal-breakers?   Do the stated added benefits justify the additional $3-$4 cost for your order?

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP!
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Clif Owen

In light of this..and because I am sending you a money order in the morning...will the cost stay the same for mine or do you want to get an estimate before we deal? I can do it either way.
Thanks!

lightsoutcalls

Any price I have quoted is still good.  If there is any difference in actual cost, I will cover the difference.  :icon_thumright:

bird

Why don't you just give your customers a choice? USPS, UPS, FED EX or other options if available. This way you put it on the customer as to how they want their custom call delivered.

870FaceLift

I think the key here is that your consumers are ordering a custom item.
I would gladly pay the extra few bucks to make sure that an item, like one of your beautiful handcrafted calls, reaches me in the condition is should.

Now, if we were just talking about a common everyday item, then the lowest prices wins.  Just my $.02
Pass it on...

Flydown

If the item is hand made and hard to replace, I'm pretty sure I would pay an extra 3 or 4 bucks for shipping with the added protection. I think a person would be dumb not to.  :-\

lightsoutcalls

Quote from: AngryBird on June 20, 2012, 03:02:15 PM
Why don't you just give your customers a choice? USPS, UPS, FED EX or other options if available. This way you put it on the customer as to how they want their custom call delivered.

My schedule for an average week goes basically like this....
8AM-4:30pm M-F - Day Job
5PM-9-11:30PM M,W,SAT,SUN - Evening Job
7AM-4PM SAT - Work in shop
7AM-8AM SUN -Work in shop
8:30AM-12PM SUN - Church
2PM-4PM SUN - Work in shop

A schedule like this pretty much limits me to go to the shipping site of choice before 8AM or at lunch break Monday-Friday.  The USPS site is on my way to work and about 2 miles from work to go at lunch.  FedEx is about 3 miles from my day job and not open before work.  UPS is about 8 miles away from work and not open before work.

I provide the best customer service I can, but I have to simplify wherever I can to be able to take care of all that I have going.  I may offer a couple of options with the condition that I will no longer replace items not covered by insurance that were damaged by the shipper. 

I also just got a package back from one shipping service after paying the $5.35 shipping fee.  The package was returned to me because the business address it was shipped to had no "receptacle" to leave the package in.  I took the package to another shipper who guaranteed me that they could deliver the package to the business address and would be glad to take the package inside for delivery.  I ate the $8.24 delivery fee, but I feel certain that the box will be delivered before the weekend and I can track its location until it arrives.  If it doesn't, it is insured at no extra cost.

bird

I'm not sure about UPS but I do know that USPS will pick your packages up for you too even if you're not home if you are using pre-printed labels.  This is something that you can arrange with your local post office or by using "Schedule A Pickup".

Tell your letter carrier or post master that you would like to have a Business Connect Representative (Salesperson) contact you about your mailing options and questions. Ask about Click and Ship and Schedule A Pickup.  

stone road turkey calls

Man that damaged package is eating you alive, all the shippers will pick up your packages at your home. It's easy to set up with them, with that work sch. you have, let them come to you.
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

lightsoutcalls

I prefer to actually see the packages go from my hands to the shippers hands.  It would be great to have that option if I were there when the shipper arrived to pick up the packages.

I like as few uncontrollable variables as possible in getting something that I made into the hands of someone who paid me for what I made.  I don't like additional delays, as I know the customer is looking forward to getting the item or items in their hands.  Between the broken items, the response the customer got at his post office ("would you like a tracking number?") and the returned package all within 10 days or so... yeah, I'm a bit frustrated.  That's why I want to get a feel for what other folks see as a priority on their end. 

bird

Just to clear up any possible confusion with the USPS Delivery Confirmation Number.  Many people think that this service will track the package throughout the entire trip of the package from pickup to delivery destination but this is not so. It is only purpose is to tell the customer when the package has been delivered.

pappy

SECURITY.......that is the key to a successful delivery in my book, confirmation is a must, even it is only telling the customer their package has arrived, it also relieves me of the pressure of wondering if it got lost along the route.  In my community there is no local pick for the usps, I have talked to the lady and they do not do this in rural areas according to her, I have used UPS for this if I have a huge order going out.
The handling packages is sometimes less desirable then one would like and I can understand some things but, the delibrate misuse or abuse of packages is harder for me to swallow, I have recieved several boxes smashed, with  tire prints and foot prints alike, now you tell me, why would someone run over a box...or why would someone stomp a box? Mishandling of packages is rare, but it is out there, and it does take place, would insurance help prevent it from happening or the word "FRAGILE" stamped on the box...nope, because those very few who are guilty of mishandling wouldn't care if the package was wrapped in gold, it is just something some areas are plagued with.  I take note of the area where I have recieved an item distroyed from, and keep it for my records, this way I let my buyers know or if I am the buyer I let the seller know, that the unlikely could happen and if it does, as a seller I would be willing to replace anything damaged but the carrier would have to change in order for me to do so, and any additional costs would have to be swallowed by the customer.
I enjoy very much my craft, and the experience of sharing it with others, so I will continue to use whatever sources are available to me to get the product out there, safely and efficiently. pappy
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

bird

Pappy if they deliver packages to you they can pick the up too.  This is a service offered to all customers of the USPS and it's free. If your local post office refuses to offer to pick up your packages then call the following number.... 1-800-ASK-USPS

CASH

I agree that it's worth a few extra bucks for insurance and tracking.  I love being able to get on my phone and see where my shipment has been and when it's approx arrival is.

Plus having stuff like custom made calls is worth insuring.  For both the buyer and the seller.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

BOFF

I always request some type of tracking or confirmation with insurance anyway. It's just a good business practice in my opinion.

It's a shame though, we have to pay extra with any company. It seems to me, we shouldn't have to pay them (shipping agencies) extra to not damage our packages, when the packages are in their care.   >:(

God Bless,
David B.