OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

FandyFire STL-V6 Flashlight

Started by ILIKEHEVI-13, June 17, 2012, 12:15:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ILIKEHEVI-13

I had a guy ask me about a flashlight for his buddy.  Well this guy asking for his buddy already bought a Keygos KE-5 that I told him about.  He said he loves it.  For $20, it's hard to beat.  But if any of you guys want one of the best lights period for the money when it comes to brightness or throw, the FandyFire STL-V6 for about $45 shipped to your door is hard to beat.  You can light up stuff probably a legit 400yds or so.  It's one of my best XM-L throwers.   It won't out throw my Crelant 7G5 or Olight M3X or Sunwayman T40CS, but it's about 1/2 the price of those lights.  And when you talk performance for price, like I said it's hard to top.  This light will smoke most lights that claim to be bright lights or what we think to be bright anyway.  You just got to see it for yourself.  It's just a good overall light to have.  

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/fandyfire-stl-v6-cree-xm-lt6-2-mode-1000-lumen-white-led-flashlight-2x18650-3x16340-3x123a-91137?item=78

Now I strongly recommend these batteries to go with it.  I would buy them from here, too.  They sell very good legit battteries that aren't fake.  These batteries are protected meaning the protection circuit will keep the batteries from overcharging or being drained to I believe less than 2.75 volts.

http://www.manafont.com/product_info.php/protected-trustfire-18650-37v-2400mah-rechargeable-batteries-flame-2pcsset-p-5560

And I would buy this charger.  One of the best for the money.

http://www.manafont.com/product_info.php/xtar-wp2-ii-liion-battery-charger-for-1044014500146501634017670185001865018700-us-plug-p-8221

I would also purchase a good multimeter to check the voltage each time you charge the batteries before you put them in the flashlight or any light for that matter that calls for 18650 batteries.  

This one from Walmart is one of the best for the money.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Equus-3320-Innova-Auto-Ranging-Digital-Multimeter/14644666

Now to be on the safe side, do not charge these batteries unattended.  Now that's not saying they aren't safe.  But lithium-ion batteries need to be monitored just to be safe.  

Now I know that's about $100 total, but the charger and multimeter you will have to use for a long time.  You can recharge these 18650 batteries probably around 500 times and maybe more.  And they put out more juice than 1.2 volt AA batteries.  

Depending on what 18650 charger I use, I typically get voltage from around 4.10 to 4.23 volts.  That's a good safe range.  

This light will make a MagLite look like a toy.  

ILIKEHEVI-13

Here's a couple of pictures.  These were taken on manual exposure with a 1 sec shutter and f/4.5 and ISO 400. 

FandyFire STL-V6 60yds

Here's one at 100yds.

Old Gobbler

shoots light like a portable q-beam  - how do these lights do in the fog?
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

ILIKEHEVI-13

Shannon,

I don't know of any flashlight that will shine thru thick fog like it would w/o fog.  But I can assure you that if there is a better light out there for under $50 that is brighter or will throw farther that is the same size comparison head and LED, I for one don't know about it. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

And if your wanting a great all around smaller light that will be the best $20 light that I know of it's hard to top the Keygos KE-5. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1300-Lumens-CREE-XM-L-XML-T6-LED-Flashlight-Torch-KE5-/400294678074?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item5d336c0e3a

ILIKEHEVI-13

I got one more to show you boys.  If you want a super bright thrower for $15 shipped to your door, this is the light for you.  

I'll show you the link to where to buy it from.  I'm just trying to help you guys out that want some good flashlights.  This one for less than $15 shipped will beat them all for lux and throw when talking price.  This light will amaze you for how bright it is.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/jacob-a60-cree-q5-3-mode-310lm-white-led-flashlight-w-strap-black-1-x-18650-114268

And this is what it looks like at 60yds.

Manual exposure 1 sec shutter f/4.5 ISO 400.  

And here's that Keygos KE-5 I talked about above.  

Same settings as above.

Keygos KE-5 60yds

Old Gobbler

That's the issue with the LED's I don't know about the CRE lights cause I have never owned one  but when you have a real bright LED and  you fire it up on the marsh duck hunting you get the old "white out" as it lights up and illuminates the fog and you can hardly see 50 yards in front of you or discern the terrain from far to figure out what slough your going up - 

I only use a very small led head lamp sparingly if ever for turkey hunting - For Waterfowl hunting a more powerful light for setting out a spread of decoys would be nice - I like those fancy headsets like the Browning's but parting with $50 to a $80 ain't my game

Im sure there is a good headset for me out there
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

savduck

Shannon, Stream lite, buck masters makes an led headlamp that's tough to beat. I use mine running the duck boat sometimes
Georgia Boy

goldenhunter

What kind of battery life do you get with those things?

TheTwistedOne

Mfg rating for that light is 100min on high.  That's probably with two 18650's.  The thing you don't know on these lights is if that's "Full" bright runtime or total runtime.  Some of those lights with good voltage regulators will run an hour or so at full bright and then several hours tapering brightness to battery depletion.

Looks like a good one.  I like Li-Ion driven LED lights.  Once you break through the initial cost of battery, charger and voltmeter, you never have to buy disposable batteries.  The Li-Ions aren't like the crappy rechargeables most folks are used to.  These things don't loose their usefulness nearly as fast.

I just built another "Frankenlight" out of a Mag 2C so my flashlight budget is shot for awhile.