turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Virginia Spring Turkey Harvest Down 2%

Started by tomstopper, June 15, 2012, 02:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomstopper

Some news for our Virginia turkey hunters according to "Grand View Turkey Hunting News".

15,326 turkeys were killed during Virginia's spring season. That's down 2 percent from 2011

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — State wildlife officials say 15,326 turkeys were killed during Virginia's spring season. That's down 2 percent from 2011 when hunters killed 15,698 turkeys.

The Spring Turkey Youth Hunt was more successful. The Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries says young hunters killed 530 turkeys, up 53 percent from 347 turkeys killed during the 2011 hunt.

Bedford County led the state with a total 493 turkeys killed.

The department says 86 percent of the turkeys were killed with shotguns, and 7 percent were killed with rifles. The others were killed with muzzleloaders, pistols and bows.

strutnva

Very interesting stuff there, not surprised that the kill was down a little.  Probably shocked it wasn't down more than it was.  I had a great year but heard lots of guys struggled to fill all their tags.  Bedford is still on top, that's not a shock.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

It was down because of the early spring which is substantiated by the unusually high harvest on youth day.   Good on the kiddies for laying the hate to 'em.  I know we did our part to have one included in that youth tally.  Did our part to send a bunch of others to heaven too!

Sounds like there will be a couple around to wack next year!!!

sippy cup

there wasn't alot of hunters in the woods compared to years past :OGturkeyhead:
beware of longdale legend

gobbler74

Early breeding season, mild spring and the 17 year cicada brood in our area is gonna make for some nice hunting in a couple years.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

sippy cup

i was out the other day riding and seen alot of baby turkeys another good thing here at home is Ive heard game dept got a major poacher in our area :newmascot:

vaturkey

Quote from: sippy cup on June 16, 2012, 06:24:06 AM
i was out the other day riding and seen alot of baby turkeys another good thing here at home is Ive heard game dept got a major poacher in our area :newmascot:

You Got Caught Sippy ?   :TooFunny:
Vaturkey

sippy cup