OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Game feeders for deer - What works for you?

Started by lightsoutcalls, June 12, 2012, 11:57:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightsoutcalls

I recently put out a bucket/timer feeder for hogs with a new Wildgame 6 volt battery.  I went out 3 days later and the feeder did not trip at the scheduled time.  I was there 2 hours each side of when it should have thrown, but it just didn't.  There was a nice blanket of corn on the ground, so it had thrown several times before dying without any takers on the corn.
This has got me thinking about feeder options for fall.  I had up to 4 doe at a time on my trail camera after throwing out a bucket of corn under a leaning cedar tree.

This is on a small piece of private property that has 4 horses that roam the 60 acres.  I want to try a method that will allow me to have at least 100 pounds of feed to reduce in and out trips.  Ideally I would like to have a couple of feeders so I can put them out in 2 different places on the property.  (Paved county road runs between 2 pieces of property.) 
I am looking at possibly going with the "Flat Out" feeder by primos.  It holds up to 300 pounds of food, and collapses downward as the feed is dispensed.  I see 3 big pros with this feeder : Large capacity, no battery to run down and ability to check amount of food from a distance.

Anyone have any input on feeder selection?  My brain is already focused on deer and bear for fall.  Our archery deer season got bumped up from Oct. 1st to Sep. 15th this year for the first time.  I'd love to put a deer down in the week before I start baiting for bear this fall.  :icon_thumright:
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

honker22

Go with On Time Feeders.  Their headquarters is about 2 miles from my house (Ruston La) .  Lifetime warranty on pretty much everything, with no questions asked.  I can vouch for them personally.
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

Clif Owen

Hard to finf fault with the On-Time feeders. A guy that works for me had the workings stolen out of one and they even replaced it for free. My belief is that you will have trouble with all of them sooner or later. The difference comes down to what happens when you do. Their customer service is second to none. Kind of like some of the callmakers on here.....ok...guess that would be all of you that I have heard of

They may not be the cheapest but are well worth it.