OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Favorite replacement decoy stake?

Started by albrubacker, June 10, 2012, 07:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

albrubacker

Anyone have a suggestion on a durable & quiet replacement decoy stake?
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

TRKYHTR

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Crappiepro

I went to the hardware store and bought 3 pieces of 3/8" hickory dow and cut them to length and then sprayed them black. I replaced the 2 1/2" wide plastic stakes that the decoys came with. Thats been 7yrs ago and the dows are still in great shape. $5.00 done.

bird

Get a fiberglass rod used for electric fences from a farm supply store and cut it to the length desired and then just use a bench grinder to burn a point on one end and to square off the other end.

albrubacker

Thanks! I guess I have some laying around! Way over thinking this  :morning:
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

Hooksfan

The closest appropriate sized tree limb I can find within reach of my pruning shears. 

redarrow

Quote from: AngryBird on June 10, 2012, 08:50:29 PM
Get a fiberglass rod used for electric fences from a farm supply store and cut it to the length desired and then just use a bench grinder to burn a point on one end and to square off the other end.

I like that idea. Thanks

TheTwistedOne

Quote from: AngryBird on June 10, 2012, 08:50:29 PM

This what I use too. 

The way I put the point on is chuck it in a drill and hold it to a belt sander.  Wear safety glasses and gloves when doing this.  The fiberglass powder really itches and getting any in your eyes is no fun at all!

turkey slayer