turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

OK anothere "how would you do it" ?

Started by unclerick, March 01, 2011, 02:24:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

unclerick

There is a bird on the property you hunt that is a hermit gobbler that is 5 or 6 yrs old, in the spring he has a heirum of 4 to 5 hens around him constantly and they go to him every mourning (I've watched them), he will gobble on roost and sometimes on the ground but will not come in to calling, decoys are a no go, you can not get close to him on roost, you watch him and decide to ambush him but he is ALWAYS 75yrds out of range and never goes the same route, trying to call in a hen that is with him does not work, they run that much faster to him (seen that as well), so how do you get this bird?
Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

nctrkyhntr

harvester

There has been centerfires taken out by a couple of locals around the house. I have personally heard them shoot. Gamewardens can't prove anything. I will ponder on this and get back with you.

Does he have a common place that he struts out in a field or somewhere? Sounds like you will just have to wait him out. I have dealt with birds like that, they always go the opposite way when you call to them. If they are out in the field, you or Wes circle around on the opposite side and setup. Then the other calls and the bird should work his way away from the caller. May take a couple of times of doing this to get him. The one I had that done me that way, I just left him alone until the last couple weeks of season when most of the hens were on the nest and hunted him hard. Finally ended up gettin him.  :icon_thumright:

harvester

Well good luck Rick, looks like this one got everybody stumped

ElkTurkMan

Have you tried gobbling at this bird with your diaphragm or using a gobble shaker?  This may be one instance that would get him stired up.  Pehaps you and a buddy could hunt together, and one guy gobble, and the other hen call,and maybe the old boy will think a satellite gobbler has gotten into his territory, and is courting one of his hens.  Just a thought. 

unclerick

Quote from: Hawken on March 02, 2011, 05:21:19 PM
Have you tried gobbling at this bird with your diaphragm or using a gobble shaker?  This may be one instance that would get him stired up.  Pehaps you and a buddy could hunt together, and one guy gobble, and the other hen call,and maybe the old boy will think a satellite gobbler has gotten into his territory, and is courting one of his hens.  Just a thought. 
This is a NO GO..

gob09

if he comes back i think we should get as close to him on the roost as we can get i'll setup behind rick about 20-30 yrds when he gobbles ill cut him off with a gobble and do a flydown and maybe move a little and gobble again .
if cover provides it. when he walks by rick to get to me bingo bango he's in the truck and going to eat bisquits and gravy in a perfect world
anyone want to add or subtract anything from that

unclerick

Quote from: gob09 on March 02, 2011, 08:20:06 PM
if he comes back i think we should get as close to him on the roost as we can get i'll setup behind rick about 20-30 yrds when he gobbles ill cut him off with a gobble and do a flydown and maybe move a little and gobble again .
if cover provides it. when he walks by rick to get to me bingo bango he's in the truck and going to eat bisquits and gravy in a perfect world
anyone want to add or subtract anything from that
That may work Wes, we'll just have to put our thug on, but I think I'll do the gobbleing when your doing the fly down.

gob09

whatever you just sit there shoot and be quiet we also likely have to get there really early too

unclerick

Quote from: gob09 on March 02, 2011, 08:32:43 PM
whatever you just sit there shoot and be quiet we also likely have to get there really early too
On a Wedsday mourning at that. :fud:

ElkTurkMan

Quote from: unclerick on March 02, 2011, 07:49:21 PM
Quote from: Hawken on March 02, 2011, 05:21:19 PM
This is a NO GO..
Just curious as to way this would be aNO GO?  Trying to learn all I can! ;)

gob09

harvester

Most of the time that I  have tried that, the hens will lead the boss bird off in the other direction. Kinda like they don't want to put up with another Tom hangin around. JMO. I hardly ever gobble anymore unless I try it as a locator call.

unclerick

Well Shane, one thing is he is an aged bird that is a hermit gobbler, he stays away from other toms,  aged birds aren't prone to want to fight over hens, and he's got his heirum. And like Wes said, I've tryed that with him on the roost, I've gut him off with the gobble and so on. It just doesn't work with him. No calling does.

harvester

Have you tried this? Setup about 60 yards deep in the timber. Wes about 40 yards to your right or left. Then talk back and forth between yourselves, kinda ignoring the gobbler, make him think that you hens are ignoring him. Make sure to use several calls at the same time to sound like several hens are in your area. Maybe a mouth call in conjuction with a box or pot call. Raise hell with them. Cuttin, yelping, everything. Make him want to be over there where you two are. Even move around a bit, if it is safe to do so, scratch in the leaves at different places while you are moving about. Like you all feedin in there. Sound like a flock of turkeys.

:fud: :newmascot:

if it does work, DON'T MISS.