turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

what would you have done ll...?

Started by DirtNap647, June 02, 2012, 11:56:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtNap647

i got a question for you guys kinda like "barry" post...i was hunting and had two long beards goin pretty good would answer anything out about 80 yds...but i couldnt see them...all at once a hen comes in mouthing  off now i always repeat what she is saying she comes in too about 15 yds the gobblers are just gobbling there heads off then there they stand 60yds just staring at me and her i continue to mimick her they never come no closer and then she walks off and so do they what did i do wrong..i love gobbler hunting probably the most of anything but i just seem to never learn i always do the wrong im still puzzled over that hunt any suggestions what i should have done and also do you guys think having a hen decoy is the way to go i never decoy hunted but i might try im open to suggestions cuz my gobbler hunting needs to improve...

bird

When a hen is that fired up I don't just copy her but I try to drown her out and really get aggressive chewing her out like crazy.  Cut her off and talk all over top of her and she will tear everything up looking to kick your butt and the guys will come in wanting to watch a girl fight.

guesswho

Reading your post it sounds like the gobblers were out of sight.  If thats the case I'd have spooked her.  Chances are she would have putted a lot and walked or run off.  My next move would be dictated by how the gobblers reacted.  If they continued gobbling I'd go to purr's and scratching after about 15 minutes or so.  If they went quiet because of her putting I'd wait about thirty minutes to see if they started back up, if they didn't I'd back out and make a wide circle around where I last heard them and try and locate them again.

If they were in sight I'd go with what AngryBird suggested.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

tomanyturkeycalls

Quote from: AngryBird on June 02, 2012, 12:11:17 PM
When a hen is that fired up I don't just copy her but I try to drown her out and really get aggressive chewing her out like crazy.  Cut her off and talk all over top of her and she will tear everything up looking to kick your butt and the guys will come in wanting to watch a girl fight.
thats what I would do... everyone likes a good girl fight  :toothy9:

drenalinld

I like to spook hens, but have had it backfire many times. I don't call when I know turkeys are close enough to see me. In that situation i try to remain motionless and hope she will walk past me.  It doesn't sound like she spooked, so maybe you didn't do anything wrong. Any chance of circling around them after they walked off?

DirtNap647

i couldnt spook her cuz the gobblers were just right through the thicket i couldnt do much rather than maybe i shouldnt have called when they were standing there looking at me i tried to keep the hen there by calling but she left and so did they i just thought that they seen her so they would come up but it was like they just knew i tried to circle them but the morning was quiet and over

Shotgun

If i read this right the only mistake you made was to continue calling after the hen had already comitted and was close.  A pissed off hen willl stick around longer than most may think until she finds what is challenging her.  It all goes back to knowing when to shut up.  Once she was close I wouldnt have said a word and just let it play out.  If it didn't play out like I wanted I would have repositioned and tried again. 

The best advice I can give you is that not any hunter can make the kill 100% of the time.  Do your best not to spook the turkey and go back the next day and make the kill.