turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Folding saw reveiws?

Started by lightsoutcalls, June 01, 2012, 11:22:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightsoutcalls

My Gerber Exchange a Blade saw has finally bit the dust.  The blade and handle are too loose to comfortably use it.  It cut better than any other folding saw I have used, but have only used off-brand saws besides the Gerber.  I recently bought a Fiskars folding saw in the lawn and garden department at Wal-Mart and tried it for the first time last weekend.  I would caution anyone not to waste their money on the Fiskars saw.  JUNK!
  Although I love the Gerber, I really don't want to buy another one to have it loosen up on me in a few years.  Anybody have any experience with other folding saws?  I want something that is going to make quick work of clearing shooting lanes, cutting limbs as I use my climbing stands and for brushing in blinds, etc.  I will likely want one that cuts on the pull stroke.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Skeeterbait

Hard to beat a Coghlan's Sierr@  Saw.  Inexpensive, inside cut teeth, cut on the pull, positive locking, replaceable blade.  They make a Pocket Sierr@  Saw also but haven't tried it.

J-Shaped

The Gerber sliding, not folding, tree saw has been a good one for me and has taken a lot of hard abuse for several years. According to their site it is discontinued, but I'm sure you can find them.

I keep in one handy on my climbing belt for hanging lock-on stands and another in a pouch strapped to my climber to cut limbs as I climb. Another advantage is that it is very lightweight and compact when not in use. They cut very well for me. You just need to make sure you tighten the locking nut on the slide tightly.

http://www.gerbergear.com/Outdoor/Gear/Sportsmans-Wood-Saw_46048

bonemonger

the wicked tree saw or a silky saw is what i use.

sugarray

My FIL bought me the Wyoming saw from Cabela's and it is awesome.  Has bone and wood blades.  Down fall is you have to put it together, but it is very sturdy and easy to get extra blades.  I would definitely buy another!

Grunt-N-Gobble

I've heard good things about Wicked Saws.

My Gerber bit the dust too and I'll probably buy the Wicked to replace it.

Nolehoe

I have a silky saw and love it

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Wingbone

I've yet to find one that will out last my Gerber. I keep going back to it. Although my wife bought me the Primos saw a couple years ago and it's held up well, I think it's actually made by Gerber.
In Hoc Signo Vinces

KansasGobbler

mikejd

I have the fiskars slide blade you mentioned as well as the wyoming and I think the Fiskars is great.

drenalinld

I like the gerber exchange-a-blade?  Love the soft wood blade and the hard wood or bone blade.

Clif Owen

I hear lots of good things about the Wicked saws

Gooserbat

Quote from: Skeeterbait on June 01, 2012, 11:41:04 AM
Hard to beat a Coghlan's Sierr@  Saw.  Inexpensive, inside cut teeth, cut on the pull, positive locking, replaceable blade.  They make a Pocket Sierr@  Saw also but haven't tried it.

What he said.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

lonnie sneed jr.

I have a buck that sure has been a good one. A few years ago my dad had one just like you are talking about. It got loose and would not tighten back up. I call and told them what it was doing and they sent him a new one free of any charges. Give them a call before you buy a new one.

:OGturkeyhead: :OGturkeyhead:

decoykrvr

The best and most expensive folding saw on the market is the "old style" hard rubber handled Browning Game and Camp saw which takes the Japanese made pull-to-cut blades.  The saw does not cut bone, but is strictly a folding wood saw which will cut like a fine wood working hand saw.  Phenomenal high quality tool steel in the blades will hold an edge for years, which is good since replacement blades are @ $18.00.  I've extensively used my saw for @ 20 years and have replaced the blades twice.  The saw stays in my deer hunting bag or duck hunting bucket and has taken down standing 8-10 inch trees.  When not in the field the saw does double-duty in my wood working shop.  I think the old model # was 920/921.