turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Got setup for hogs ... again

Started by lightsoutcalls, June 01, 2012, 09:38:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightsoutcalls

I went Monday to pull my trail camera out from my last hog setup.  It had been in the woods for over 2 months.  Got some pics, but no hog pics for over 3 weeks... but hadn't been baiting either.
    The landowner said a guy brush-hogged for her and told her he had seen a boar, a sow and about 20 smaller pigs down in the woods behind her trailer - across the road from where my camera was set up.  I checked it out and found leaves rooted back like someone had been in there with a rake.  There's a small creek running through the property.  It was bone dry except for a couple of small holes.  One hole of water was an obvious wallow about 4' long.  It had tracks going everywhere and all different sizes. 
   By last night, the wallow has gone from having several inches of water in it, to now being just a muddy mess with a couple of basketball sized puddles of water.  I cleared a 40 yard shooting lane Monday afternoon, so I put out a bucket/timer feeder with corn and set my trail camera up on the feeder area and the edge of the wallow.  I dumped 3 packages of strawberry jello powder out on the ground below the feeder as well.
   While I was there, the landowner's anatolian shepherd followed me in the woods.  This dog's back hits me about the waist.  I nicknamed him Goliath.  I tried to shoo him off to keep his scent out of the immediate area.  He stayed about 40 yards out until he heard a limb snap (pulling the bucket feeder up the tree) and ran off.  I heard him bark a couple of times down in the woods, so I tried to listen closer.  A couple of minutes later, I heard what I thought was a bird about 40 yards directly in front of me.  I stopped and listened closer.  I crouched down and pulled my glock .357 sig out and watched.  A couple of minutes later I watched a black spot (top of head and ears) bounce through the weeds in the woods with a "wink, wink, wink" sound as it went by.  Goliath was chasing a pig through the woods...  Well, at least I know there are pigs in the area for sure.  Hopefully this weekend I can get out and sit for a couple of hours around dark.  I bought a custom built hog light that has red and green cree LED lights that throws a nice 30 yard wide beam about 150 yards.  It lights up the surroundings in a color that looks about like dusk and is not supposed to scare game.
  Come to me sausage!  ;D
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Turkey Beard

I've gone hog hunting a couple of times in Oklahoma on a guided deal.  Thinking about trying here in SW MO.  Would you mind sharing your baiting tactics for a newbie?  Thanks!
1UP GAME CALLS - Calls That Put'em On The Wall..
www.1upgamecalls.com

lightsoutcalls

The property I am hunting is 120 acres that is about 1/2 mile from mountainous national forest range.  Where there will be no livestock, I have good success at drawing hogs in (have yet to be there when the hogs are) by digging a 2 foot deep hole with post hole diggers and filling the hole back up with corn.  The pigs will turn the 8" wide hole into a 3' wide funnel rooting to get all of the corn out.  If there will be livestock in the area, this isn't an option as they could break a leg falling in the rooted hole.
   On the part of the land where there will be livestock coming and going, I am using a 6 gallon bucket feeder hanging in a tree.  This is honestly the first time I have tried this option, and have only read about others having good results using it.  As I mentioned, I sprinkled strawberry jello powder, which again, is the first time I have tried, but have read alot of folks do with success.  I have also heard about pouring strawberry soda on the ground having the same effect. 
  There are several hog hunting forums that you might get info. from.  Do a google search for hog hunting forums.  There are lots of commercial scents and baits available.  I have yet to try them.  It's good to make sure there is a water source somewhere around, just as it is with most any game animal.  Once you find some rooting, wallows and hog rubs (mud on sideds of trees), you know they are in the area.  I would put out a game camera if you can with your bait to see what is eating it.  I never saw the likes of coons on my trail camera pictures. 

savduck

Turn your regular corn into sour corn and they will come running.

The old timers around here would put the corn in 5 gallon bucket with lid, add some water and sugar, then let sit in the sun a few days. Drives the pigs wild.
Georgia Boy

dirt road ninja

Bet you'll have one soon Mr. Wendel. Are you going to try and bowhunt them any? I've got to set up a feeder for my kid to shoot one over pretty soon.

dirt road ninja

Quote from: Turkey Beard on June 01, 2012, 10:13:15 AM
I've gone hog hunting a couple of times in Oklahoma on a guided deal.  Thinking about trying here in SW MO.  Would you mind sharing your baiting tactics for a newbie?  Thanks!

They eat anything. I just dump a pile (corn) out then broadcast around the pile in about a 20 yard circle. We also have a store here that sell expired bread and pastries. For 20 bucks they fill the back of my F-250. I just pile that stuff up and they hit it pretty quick.
For what it's worth a friend of mine feeds fish carcasses to them. They tear that up to.

lightsoutcalls

I've also heard that soured wheat (like your soured corn recipe) is good.

I work a few nights a week at pizza hut.  I know bears love cooked pizza dough.  I would bet that the pigs would have no problem getting some down the hatch.  ;)

I did look at a couple of trees that I could put a hang-on stand on.  I'm going to give the .35 Remington a shot first (no pun intended).