turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Last Day Classic Hunt !

Started by timbrhuntr, May 31, 2012, 05:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timbrhuntr

Well the last day of season was finally here and I still had an unfilled tag in my pocket. Time to get serious. For the first time in 10 years I left the dekes etc and set out in the morning with my gun, clothes and one mouth call. Even left the chair . I got set up and had 2 gobbling on the limb. As usuallthey flew down and headed to parts unknown. I did some wandering and finally I got a gobble in response to my yelps. I was at the edge of a field and finally he came out on the opposite side. He strutted and gobbled his way to the middle of the field were he did same for about 10 minutes until he finally walked out into the woods. Man I was wishing I had a decoy. But, I busted butt across the field and into the woods. Took a little while to get to where I wanted and I was hoping he would gobble so I could pin him down. No such luck so I let out a few yelps. He gobbled but was way farther than I expected and moving. I decided to move up 30 yds call and then move back and call again. Well on the second set of calls not only did he gobble but a competetor gobbled as well. I commenced the sweet talk and for the next 10 minutes the 2 toms raced each other to see who could get to me first but with extra points for the most gobbles made while trying to close the distance. I set up on the down side of a small hardwood ridge. I knew they would need to crest the hill before they could look for me and that they would be in range. I set back and waited for the show. In a few minutes I could see a full fan just above the ridge and then a white head. He slowly worked in to 25 yds struttng and looking. He seemed to take forever to cover those last 5 yds to where I had a clear shot. When he finally got there I had a slight pang of regret knowing that with the last touch of the trigger another great spring turkey season was over. Bang!!  Classic !!      

Not the biggest bird of the season 17 lbs, 9 1/4" beard and 3/4 spurs but probably the best hunt.

Man now I can't wait for next season to get here too  :D .

gatrapper

"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

DeWayne Knight

Great story!  Sounds like it was a great hunt!

captin_hook

kansas hooks

Great story and congrats on a good bird...

mikejd

Thats the way to close a season. Congrats.

tomstopper

Publicland

FullChoke

Man, when the gobbler that has been playing hard-to-get with you all morning suddenly realizes that he has Romeo competition for your affections, it will turn them in a heartbeat! Well hunted!

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

slamman

redrivergar

Congrats! I enjoyed reading about your success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

MAKEemQUIVER

Sounds like a great way to end season for sure!!
Go Big Blue!!!!!!

fallsflight

Great hunt!  Perfect way to end the season.

WiLL B

Congrats on a perfect ending!!