OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Florida panhandle??

Started by BLACKQUACK, May 31, 2012, 03:56:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLACKQUACK

Got an opportunity to hunt in Liberty County next March.  Can anyone tell me what to expect and how it might differ from Southern Illinois hunting?  How much of a problem would rattlesnakes be, or shouldn't  I be concerned?   What about mosquitos or any other insect pests?  Would the turkeys be in the pines just as likely as the hardwoods?   Thanks for any info you might give.    :wave:

BLACKQUACK

Private.  South of Bristol.

Turkeyman11

I'm not sure how hunting in Illinois is but I have been to Florida for the past four years.  I've killed birds in the swamp jungles, pastures, and food plots.  In my experience (limited) the birds seem to like to roost over water if possible which makes them tough to hunt off the roost.  Contrary to what I've heard I still think they're just turkeys.  I've killed them early morning, mid morning and even one in the afternoon.  The one difference I think I've noticed is it doesn't seem like they gobble much in the evening going to roost.  As for rattlesnakes the hunt starts in late march and the locals I've been around say the majority of them aren't out yet.  In four years I've seen one water moccasin total.  However do take your thermacell the ticks and Mosquitos have the potential to be annoying.  Good luck you will love chasing those Osceolas.

Skeeterbait

South of Bristol will be Easterns, same birds your use to hunting in Illinois.  Terrain will be different though.  That is a transitional area from costal to wiregrass regions.  Expect pines, scrub oak and palmettos on flat to rolly ground.  Lots of timber cutting also so may be clearcuts.  If slightly to the west it could be river bottoms. Sure there are rattlesnakes there including the occasional eastern diamondback.  Just wear your snake boots if you have them and look where your walking and before you sit down.