turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

mossberg 835 pump

Started by turkeystrut, May 28, 2012, 10:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeystrut

I just purchase an 835 from my buddy of  mine.He didn't used it much.I am going to turkey hunt with it next season and I was wondering what the best choke for it  is/ I need something to throw a tight pattern.It would be nice to find one at a reasonable  price/Where is the best store to look for one/
gotta love the outdoors!

davisd9

Many people are getting great numbers from the Tru Glo SSX, Pure Gold .670, Jellyhead .690, and Indian Creek .676.  Any of those chokes will work great.  I would recommend using Hevi-Shot 3.5" 2.25 oz #6s or Mag Blends.  The 7s will put up great number but are difficult to get and expensive.  Mag Blends and 6s seem to be easily found for most people in their local areas.  The 6s and Mag Blends will not put up as big of numbers as the 7s but will produce excellent hunting patterns.  Good Luck in your quest.  I love my 835!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

lowoctane

I have an 835 with a Jellyhead 690. Ilikehevi here recommended that I shoot the 3.5" Hevi 13 in 7's. Check out my patterns on the pattern section here.  :toothy9:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

allaboutshooting

Quote from: turkeystrut on May 28, 2012, 10:26:41 PM
I just purchase an 835 from my buddy of  mine.He didn't used it much.I am going to turkey hunt with it next season and I was wondering what the best choke for it  is/ I need something to throw a tight pattern.It would be nice to find one at a reasonable  price/Where is the best store to look for one/

I shoot the 835, 935 and SSi-ONE, all with the same over bored Mossberg barrels. The chokes that work best for me and for my readers are the SSX and Hevi-13 turkey chokes. Both are very reasonably priced and throw great patterns.

Since you just bought this gun from your friend, I'd also recommend that you "deep clean" the bore prior to taking it to the range. It will really help, regardless of which turkey choke you choose.

If you're not familiar with that process, you can click on my banner below this post, then go to the article, "Cleaning a Shotgun Barrel" and read the guidelines there.

You've just bought a great gun and I wish you all the best with it.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

dirt road ninja

Depends on what your going to shoot. All the above chokes will give a good hunting pattern with the mentioned loads. I've shot the IC, JH, and a Stardot out of mine. I've yet to compile all the results in one place or try them all with all the loads. The next one on my list is the SSX. I did shoot the Magblends this weekend out of the Stardot and IC, the IC beat up on my Stardot with them, but my Stardot whips it with 7's. If ya going to shoot 6's or 7's HTL I'd stay under .680.

lowoctane

Quote from: allaboutshooting on May 29, 2012, 09:20:36 AM
Quote from: turkeystrut on May 28, 2012, 10:26:41 PM

I shoot the 835, 935 and SSi-ONE, all with the same over bored Mossberg barrels. The chokes that work best for me and for my readers are the SSX and Hevi-13 turkey chokes. Both are very reasonably priced and throw great patterns.

Since you just bought this gun from your friend, I'd also recommend that you "deep clean" the bore prior to taking it to the range. It will really help, regardless of which turkey choke you choose.

If you're not familiar with that process, you can click on my banner below this post, then go to the article, "Cleaning a Shotgun Barrel" and read the guidelines there.

You've just bought a great gun and I wish you all the best with it.

Thanks,
Clark

You will not go wrong listening to what Clark tells you... :toothy9:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

beagler

Rhino (.695) works fantastic in my 835.
Never Misses

davisd9

Quote from: beagler on May 29, 2012, 07:34:57 PM
Rhino (.695) works fantastic in my 835.

Have a buddy that uses the Mad Maxx .695 in a 935 and it does excellent with Mag Blends.  Would have thought it was not tight enough but it lays them out!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

turkeystrut

I just wanted to say thanks for the help!This forum is one the best.
gotta love the outdoors!