turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Snake Chaps

Started by Deputy 14, May 28, 2012, 08:12:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deputy 14

I'm looking for opinions on a new pair of chaps. I haven't bought any since I was a kid and I can remember they were like wearing stove pipes. Didn't know if you guys knew of any that were easier to wear or more comfortable than others. Im not looking for boots or gaiters because I've seen a couple people get hit above the knee.

Ryan T

Gaiters I have are like stove pipes... I just wear the new Lacrosse snake boots.. I know I'm no help with your matter, but I am curious what kind of snakes you saw hit someone above the knee and what were the situations surrounding the bites?

I've always been cautious walking up an embankment or something, but that's the only scenario I can imagine one hitting someone above the knee.  Where I'm at, we predominately have cotton-mouths, with a few copperheads and rattlesnakes.  Thanks.

Deputy 14

The two I've saw were both friends of mine. Both were big rattlesnakes that we're uphill from them.  The first one the guy got lucky and saw the snake at the last second and stopped his step. When it hit him he had turned his leg just enough and it's fangs got stuck in the top of his BDU pocket. The second one my buddy stepped off of a log walking down a steep hill and as soon as his right foot hit the ground the snake hit him in the middle of the hamstring. Luckily for him he had chaps on. Left a nasty bruise though.
After seeing these two incidents I would almost wear snake bibs. LOL

Skeeterbait

haven't researched them but all I have seen were stiff, hot, and noisy.

swamp_bird89

I'll never get the snake chap/boot thing. I have grown up hunting the most snake infested areas my entire life. Stepped over too many snakes to remember. IMO if you are moving fast enough in the woods to not notice a snake you are about to step on then you are moving too fast.

marshboy

I have a pair of TurtleSkins snake chaps that I really like.  I bought them to use while chasing sharptails and prairie chickens out West.
They're comfortable...I ended up wearing them for all my pheasant hunting around home.
I don't know if they make a camo pair...mine are khaki.
Greg

Deputy 14

Yea those look about as comfortable as snake chaps get and since I don't walk slow enough I'm gonna order me a pair. Thanks for the input fellas.

Fox Fire

Sevral good testimonies on the Turtle Skins, mite have to save up for a pair, always look'n for snakes.

CASH

If I hadn't of been looking while wading through knee deep water this season, I would have needed a snake proof jock strap.

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

headbanger

Can't help on the chaps because I wear Lacrosse snake boots. I've stepped over enough downed logs to know that these timber rattlers down this way like to lay under them. Snake boots or not, when that happens my pace increases significantly...kinda of a knee jerk reaction :TooFunny: