OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkeys are downright tough

Started by Jay, May 27, 2012, 10:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay

Scored a nice Tom this morning, and because the temps were getting to me I bagged the bird, and got out of there. I noticed something was wrong with the wing, but didn't really look at it. Went I went to clean him, the wing totally separated, and what an ugly decaying mess under the wing there was. We picked buckshot out of the breast also, so the Tom took a hit to the wing/chest area. Hard to tell when, but leaning towards a week or so. He came in struttin to my Deke like there was nothing wrong with him. I'm glad I put this one down, before the Coyotes got to him, because he would have had only 1 working wing. Amazing birds.

WildTigerTrout

I shot one years ago that had the big bone in his wing completely shattered.  I dug several unplated #4 lead shot out of his wing. I was using #6 copperplated shot. He acted completely normal. I was glad to get him also as he could not fly and would'nt have lasted very long. They are tough, I must agree.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

barry

I shot one years ago that came in with 2 other birds. All I could see was his head sticking up over a log when I shot so I just knew I had a really clean bird for tablefare...WRONG!
He had been body shot sometime earlier and his whole breast had shot spread all over it and it was starting to turn green. Had to throw all the meat away!
Even in that condition he was still in the mating mood.

redarrow

Called one in for my BIL a few years ago. He shot it in the left side of the head. Skinned it out and found copper plates in the right wing as well as what looked like lead 4s in the butt flap and back.

gobbler74

Turkeys can be tough. You got that right.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

Ryan T

My first trip to SD four years ago we were roosting a flock.  There were 2 longbeards, 3 or 4 jakes, and 6 or 7 hens.  The longbeards fought each other, they fought the jakes, they just flat out fought all afternoon.  The one that was doing the majority of the whipping, hurt his wing something bad.  We assumed he broke it/separated something.  Because at roost time, he started to break off from the flock.  He wandered up and down the little creek looking for a tree.  Finally, after all the birds got in the trees, he found him a blow-down.  He roosted that night, for the last time ever, about 10' off the ground and he never flew.  He walked, jumped, and pulled himself to his roost that night.  The next morning he was strutting and gobbling his brains out.  He didn't fly down, he hopped down the blown down tree.

A guy with us killed him about 8:00am.  The biggest Merriams of the trip, triple beard, with inch spurs, and weighed a hefty 21 and change.  They are some resilient, persevering, witty old birds.

Eric Gregg

I was with my father in law and his brother when they cleaned one and the left leg had become infected from fighting. Ain't no telling how long he had gone with that leg like that. Those spurs don't play