turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

White New Mexico Gobbler!

Started by Turkeyman11, May 26, 2012, 06:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeyman11

Just wanted to share my most treasured trophy to date with you all.  My cousin Bret and I travel to New Mexico from Utah every spring to chase Merriams gobblers.  Last April we arrived and set up camp two days early.  Mid-morning the day before the season opened we saw three mature gobblers cross the road and to our surprise one was white.  I couldn't believe it.  I wanted that bird bad.  The night before the hunt Bret roosted at least six different gobblers while I turned up nothing.  He tried to talk me in to going with him opening morning but I decided to stay in the area where we had seen the white gobbler the day before.  Opening morning found me set up about 200 yards from a couple of gobblers and several hens.  After working them more a couple of hours I finally watched them cross a large meadow and head in the opposite direction.  I gathered up my gear and headed to the North.  After walking a half mile or so I struck two gobblers, one to the North of me and one off to the East.  I sat there patiently and decided the bird to my East seemed more interested.  I cut the distance to a couple hundred yards and began the sweet talk.  Five minutes later I about passed out when this white gobbler appeared gobbling all the way.  I let him work within 32 yards to my right shoulder and let him have it.  I was so excited I could hardly stand it.  I killed him about five miles from where we had seem him the day before.  Turkey hunting is my passion and this is truly my trophy of a lifetime.

TRKYHTR

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Spring Creek Calls

2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

ccleroy

Ruger M77

I eat therefore I hunt

Wingbone

Awesome! That's really all I can say. Just awesome!
In Hoc Signo Vinces

Flydown

Wowzers he is a beauty! Congrats. :you_rock:

vaturkey

Congrats ! Awesome Gobbler !   :icon_thumright:

vaturkey   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

Turkeyfan

that sure is a sweet looking trophy you have.

pdqt

Don't know how you walk, carrying enough horseshoes, and rabbit feet to be that lucky.

Awsome trophy.

weave

That is very awesome

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

gophert

dlquinn

Man thats awesome  :icon_thumright: Congrats on a bird of a lifetime!
NRA-STAND AND FIGHT

redrivergar

Truly incredible. Congrats on a great gobbler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk