OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Used 20 years of tricks this season. (Now with Pics)

Started by savduck, May 24, 2012, 08:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

savduck

It was quite the season. I was thinking about all my hunts, and none were the same. I do believe it's the first time I put all my tricks from  20 years of turkey killing to the test. I shot all my birds with different tactics. I killed them early, mid day, and late. I killed them off the roost, cutting and running, ambush, and sitting and calling. I used aggressive cuts, to soft clucks and purrs. I used, mouth calls, pots, and trumpets. I used jealousy, sitting tight, leap frogging, and changing postion.

Man  it was a great season. Missing the hell out of it. Running drenalinlds trumpets last night didn't help either. I wish everyone a safe off season, can't wait to get this team going again next spring.
Georgia Boy

TRKYHTR

Glad you had a great season. It helps out alot when you can use from past experiences to help figure out a situation and make it work. The learning never ends.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

savduck

Been holding back on yall with pictures of the season. Here they come.

Early season. Got in between three gobblers. Got in tight on one and did a little tree calling. Jealousy is an ugly thing for this Ol Boy. He was sporting some hooks

Put a guy on this one next. It worked due to terrain. Gobblers had hens, but was roosted on a point, only one way out. When he heard a hen yelping in that direction it was more than he could stand.

Then down went Lyles, high noon bird. Classic cut and run on a bachelor group. Cover ground, get em to talk, and get in their grill where they want to go and stuff happens.

Did i mention he was part Osceola

Then theres the wait em out, late afternoon bird. I put these guys in a low pressure area. We knew the birds werent talking, but found their feeding area. Wait em, out, soft talk and the deed is done.

Then Ol Jim just had to show the young bucks up. This is just the pure magic of a seasoned ol turkey killer. Secret soft trumpet yelps.

I was guiding and  these three got caught slipping in the back door. You see when you hear one behind you dont ignore em even if the one in front is working. 3 in hand is better than one in the bush...or something like that.

Then there is this ol guy that came in silent on an afternoon hunt. Scouted them out, knew their roost, just got in between where they slept and fed and two hours before roost time, he couldnt resist those soft trumpet yelps coming from the hallway down from his bedroom. He was sporting some nice spurs. 1 1/8 and 1 3/16.

You know, its nice to have one of those text book hunts...you know gobble on the limb, call all you want, gobble their head off and come running...well there were a few two year olds around. Me and Jim found him one in SC. Jim looked perplexed, first gobbler someone else had called in for him in a long time.

No season can be complete without a bird that makes you move a few times, gobbles, then shuts up. Patience and change of pace gets em. Had to follow and creap on these. They shut down, changed from mouth call to trumpet and it sealed their fate.

Oh did I mention, the last two pictures  were of Jim and I on the same day, in less than two hours. Next to last day in SC. What a treat. One of my best days in the woods, and i got to have one of my best hunting partners with me when it happened.

They too sported hooks, but didnt score high enough to upgrade.

you have to have a secret weapon. Olive Wood Billy Buice, with a custom lanyard I made

Man, what a great year. got to see many birds die, hunt with great friends, and use all my tricks to success. CANT WAIT for next season.
Georgia Boy

cannonball

Awesome post Del! Can't wait until next year to go at them again!

Gut_Pile

You had a great season Mr. Del. congrats once again
Proud Member of The Tenth Legion Since 2004

drenalinld

Great stuff, Del. Look at that first pic of your Buice trumpet. The spalting pattern looks like a turkey head and beak. Thanks for sharing the photos.

savduck

Georgia Boy

TRKYHTR

Nice pics Del. Looks like a good season and some great turkeys.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

ccleroy

Del who killed all those turkeys and let you take pictures with them...lmao!

merocustomcalls

Great year Del, That's about as good as it gets!

savduck

Quote from: ccleroy on June 26, 2012, 10:59:35 PM

Rickey, done let my secret out. I keep a turkey calling smurf in my vest. Let him do all the calling.
Georgia Boy

ccleroy

Quote from: savduck on June 27, 2012, 12:20:12 AM
Quote from: ccleroy on June 26, 2012, 10:59:35 PM

Rickey, done let my secret out. I keep a turkey calling smurf in my vest. Let him do all the calling.

Lmmfao!

ElkTurkMan

DUPREE

good season for sure. Ill be in touch soon, I should be getting that gun saturday (assuming BPS still has it in stock)

savduck

Quote from: DUPREE on June 27, 2012, 08:36:35 PM
good season for sure. Ill be in touch soon, I should be getting that gun saturday (assuming BPS still has it in stock)

10/4..... Well get together and shoot it a little.
Georgia Boy