OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

If you had $600

Started by Skeeter41, May 23, 2012, 07:21:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skeeter41

If you had an extra $600 and wanted to build the best 20 ga turkey gun for that money.  What would it be?

Here is what I need it to be.  I would like it to be a youth model.  My 5 year old son is really picking up an intrest in shooting and hunting with me.  So I want it to fit him first and foremost.  I can deal with the youth stock for myself.

I wanted it to be a semi, but this isn't a must. 

Must have a type of red dot for my son.

As light as possible. 

I was thinking about a tristar youth/adult combo, but I haven't heard any reports on these guns.  I can get a new one out the door for $450 which would give me $150 for a scope and choke.

Any suggestions?  Could possibly come up with $700.

savduck

In keeping with your original request for a youth model semi auto.

Weatherby SA08 youth model......$474 from jet guns in Kentucky ( probably end up being 500  to 525 with shipping or transfer fees)
Sumtoy 562-5 choke.......less than $65
Claw sling .......25.00

Your choice of optic. The meuller is probably your best bet to keep the cost around 700 total. To keep it even lower cost, I'd go with a tru glo extreme fiber optic that has the peep ring. Maybe easier for a youngin with that.

I ran a 28 inch barrell version of this gun this year and shot 3 gobblers with it. I love it. It has a skinny grip and forearm which would be very comfortable for a youth, very light weight, has a very forgiving gas recoil system( based on the beretta system). It patterns awesome.
Georgia Boy

nitro

I went the 870 route for my daughter.

Del is spot on with the Weatherby (wish I knew about it before I ponied up)..

Hell of a great little gun - and he isn't exaggerating about the patterns. WICKED!!

Sumtoy makes a great choke.
Royal Slam 2008

gobblergls

Mossberg Super Bantam.  5.25lbs, camo dipped, expandable stock, pre-drilled and tapped for optics. $325.00. Sumtoy .5675 or Pure Gold .555 or .570 depending on loads.  Best value for the dollar.  It's my turkey gun of choice.

Eric Gregg

If I had 600 to work with I would probably buy the REM 1187 in full camo in 20GA., pair it with a REM SF choke that will shoot Hevi-Shot and Lead and shoot Fed Heavyweight 7's.

Perfect match with my 870 youth :you_rock:

n2deer

Another mossberg 500 for 250 and some good sights for 30 bucks add a 570 pure gold for 60 bucks.

And put the rest in some number 9s tss.

gobblergls

Quote from: n2deer on May 23, 2012, 09:23:07 AM
And put the rest in some number 9s tss.
Best advice given, the part about TSS9s.  IMO,  I would rather have a $250 Mossy 500 20 gauge with a $1000 stockpile of TSS9s than own a $1200 M2 in 20 gauge shooting off the shelf loads .  Of course, lethality isn't everything, but neither are looks and gun costs.

surehuntsalot

Weatherby SA08  or the Mossberg SA20
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

dirt road ninja

I like'm all. This last winter I bought a 11-87 youth and I'm very please with it.

Skeeter41

Thanks for all the replies.  Keep them coming if there are any other suggestions.

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the Tristars, Weatherby SA-08 and Mossberg SA20's all made in the same factory? 

Slicky - do you know what that gun weighs set up like that?  Does that Knoxx adjust down to the size of what the youth stock was?

savduck

Quote from: Skeeter41 on May 23, 2012, 09:49:43 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the Tristars, Weatherby SA-08 and Mossberg SA20's all made in the same factory? 

Not sure. There is plenty of stuff out there about the weatherbys on the net and their website.I also had a 20 gauge 870. I shot 4 with it this year. It was bought for my six year old, but it still doesn't fit him.

One thing to think about with an auto vs pump isn't just the recoil, but rather how far a child has to extend their arm out. They are gonna be extended out with a pump, with an auto they will be able to hold it closer due to the long solid forearm. My son says he likes the weatherby better than the 870.

Funny stuff one of the hardest I've been hit with recoil was by a moss berg 500, 20 ga.
Georgia Boy

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I guided a young man at Hunt For a Cure who was running a tristar 20 ga semi with a truglo red dot.

He and his father shoot ducks and turkeys with it.  They said they havent had any mechanical issues and have been very pleased with it.

n2deer

Quote from: savduck on May 23, 2012, 10:20:00 PM
Funny stuff one of the hardest I've been hit with recoil was by a moss berg 500, 20 ga.

:TooFunny:
Aint shot much have you?

savduck

Quote from: n2deer on May 27, 2012, 10:20:08 PM
Quote from: savduck on May 23, 2012, 10:20:00 PM

:TooFunny:
Aint shot much have you?

Been shooting for over 30 years, at least 1000 rounds a year. The day I shot that mossberg 500, I had patterned an entire box of 3.5 inch winchester HV #5s. That little 20 ga hit harder than anything Ive ever shot including my 458 rifle. It had a youth model stock. Maybe I didnt have it against my shoulder right. All I know is it thumped the piss out of me.
Georgia Boy

surehuntsalot

my youngest brother has a 20ga 500 that will knock your socks off
my uncle had a 16ga that I only shot ONCE,and that was it
it's not the harvest,it's the chase