turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Frustrated in NY

Started by NYGobblergetter, May 21, 2012, 12:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNY Bowhunter

A buddy of mine killed a nice one this morning...:icon_thumright:.  I was supposed to go out with dad but couldn't get out of bed.  I don't feel too bad about it as he never got up either...::).
"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."

WNY Bowhunter

Went out with a buddy sunday morning...heard one gobble on the roost 6 times...he was only 75-80 yds away but wanted nothing to do with my calling.  I do know of 5 longbeards that got jellyheaded by family/friends over the weekend.  I'm calling it a season.  Kinda sad to see it end, but I had a lot of fun. Now, it's time to get back into whitetail mode...

njdevilsb

Yesterday morning was the most fired up we have had any birds all season.  I'm pretty sure there was 2 of them, and basically we knew exactly where they were going just because of them gobbling from 7:30 until 11:00.  They usually wouldn't directly answer us, but if we shut up for 5 or so minutes, they were going to gobble.  They had hens, of course, that's the story of our season, but it was nice just to finally get some good gobbling.  At one point we though for sure they were going to pop out at any moment, but they never came. 

It's been a tough year for sure, even though I killed my best bird to date.  I'm getting out of work early and hitting the woods for a couple hours tomorrow and Thursday, like I did today, just hoping to get lucky and wrap that last tag around a turkeys leg.

hardluckstrutter

Had a great hunt in Northern Jefferson County on Saturday Morning. Had 4 birds going. The dominant bird gobbled 100+ times and was dead at 5:37. At the diner by 6. Great way to end the season!

troutfisher13111

Well, today was it for me. Had a good season, killed my biggest to date. Never filled my second tag though, but I feel that was because I got too picky.

tomstopper

Hitting the woods tommorow. Good luck to everyone going hunting.

TauntoHawk

Here it is, last day of the season bird. My Friend Caitlynn, shot this awesome tom with the help of my buddy James. James finished his season with calling in a dozen birds to the gun barrel this season and he is really on to something with his new slates.

17.6lbs, heavy 10.25in beard, with matching black 1 & 5/16 spurs

Sounded off down in a bottom and gobbled by myself from the roost allowing them to slowly move within 80yds. about 10 minutes of calling and gobbling and he pitched right at them and walked out around a big cedar tree at 28yds.

I couldn't have been more pumped this morning, for Jamie that his new pot design that to me he has the best sounding slates I've ever played and definently out shined every other call in my vest this season.

For Cait, a former vegetarian til she met me and James. Now hunting, fishing, and always trying to wear somthing pink in the woods are her biggest hobbies.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

WNY Bowhunter

Awesome way to the end the season!!!  :icon_thumright:

TRKYHTR

Great pic on a fine gobbler.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

troutfisher13111

DeWayne Knight

hardluckstrutter

mikejd

great picture. Oh yea the birds nice to. LOL.

congrats to you and your friends on a great season.

njdevilsb

Great way to end the season.  Congrats.

My dad and I had 2 sounding off this morning, starting at 4:40am.  We were hunting state land bordering private property, with a seasonal use road in between.  We played with them for over 4 hours before we finally got sight of them since they were on the private land.  A hen, 3 jakes and a longbeard were slowly coming in from the private land working towards us.  A truck pulled along the main road, saw the birds, pulled into the gravel road passing by our setup, and within 60 yards of the birds.  This caused the birds to change their path, but they didn't take off.  The guys then proceeded to park the truck about 1/4 mile passed the bids, get out and walk right into the field where the birds were.  Needless to say, that ended that hunt.  We asked permission to hunt there before the season started, but they had a group of guys that hunted it so we didn't get access.  I guess they thought they could walk right up to them and shoot them this morning.  It was a very frustrating end to the day and the season with all the patience we showed, especially this morning.

This last week has been the best as far as the birds being vocal all year long.  It was a very tough year with henned up, tight lipped birds.  I got one and that was the only shot my dad and I had all season, and we hunted and scouted hard.  They would be on our lease one morning and gone the next.  They were hard to pattern where we could hunt.  The private piece that we saw the birds on today had birds on it 9 times out of 10, though.  I'm ready for a rest, but give me 2 days and I'll be counting down the days to May 1st, 2013.