OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Frustrated in NY

Started by NYGobblergetter, May 21, 2012, 12:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNY Bowhunter

I had 3 big fat longbeards roosted last night (one of which has an enormously thick paintbrush).  I called up the owner of the farms grandson to see if he wanted to go after them this morning but he had to work for a couple hours before school.  Dang it, I really wanted to see if we could get lucky and kill one of them.  Oh well, I'll be back in the woods tomorrow through monday with my dad and some buddies.  Hopefully, someone can put a tag on one last longbeard before season's end.
"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."

2much2loud

Quote from: WNY Bowhunter on May 23, 2012, 11:50:56 AM
I had 3 big fat longbeards roosted last night (one of which has an enormously thick paintbrush).  I called up the owner of the farms grandson to see if he wanted to go after them this morning but he had to work for a couple hours before school.  Dang it, I really wanted to see if we could get lucky and kill one of them.  Oh well, I'll be back in the woods tomorrow through monday with my dad and some buddies.  Hopefully, someone can put a tag on one last longbeard before season's end.

WNY give me directions and I will meet you there j/k good look with them

Turkeyman

I just got my second NY bird this morning. I've never had a more difficult time than this year. Now it's down to PA in the morning. I haven't hunted there yet due to hunting here in NY but I've got until the 31st.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Hunted Pulaski today on good private ground and lacona yesterday on public and didn't hear a peep either day.  Saw one strutter on ground we don't have permission to hunt yesterday.

First time I've ever eaten tag soup in NY.

Numbers are definitely way down based on sightings and hearing.

hunter-b

Its been a struggle for me also but some Friends have had good luck .

WNY Bowhunter

Just got in from working a bird for an hour and a half.  He gobbled 80-100x but the woods he was in was super thick from being logged a couple of years ago.  He was hot to trot and totally digging the seductive calling from my crystal but never came closer than 50 yds from dad.  We moved on him 3 times and I thought his feathered butt was ours on the last set-up but it wasn't to be.  Stupid fricken birds!!!  :z-dizzy:

NYGobblergetter

Nice to know they are still gobbling somewhere. I am going to give it a go this weekend and see what happens.

WNY Bowhunter

It was a little windy this morning, but I never heard him gobble on roost.  We were just walking along a hayfield less than 100 yds from the truck when he first gobbled @ 6:15 taking us by total surprise...

troutfisher13111

I had an hour and a half to hunt this morning, no gobbles at all. Called in the mouthiest hen I have heard in a few years. She filled my ears with non stop cutts, yelps, purrs, and clucks. The show lasted about 15 minutes and at one time she was only about 4 yards from me.

TauntoHawk

On one of my trips up there I was talking to a local call maker about late season hunting and he gave me this tip, he said late in the season he leaves the valley and river botom for the mountains. He said he has a couple good spots up high that aren't as stinking thick green as the bottom and the birds up there run a little later.

He said when the gobbling slows down and the fields are choked with tall grass he heads up high and can usually buy himself another week of good gobbling action.

seemed to make some sense
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

WNY Bowhunter

I was just thinking, I haven't been pestered by a single mosquito or black fly this entire season.  I've carried a thermocell in my vest since mid-April on my KY trip, but have yet to turn it on.

troutfisher13111

Same here. I am thinking it was the deep frost after that really warm march week we had.

mikejd

Quote from: WNY Bowhunter on May 23, 2012, 11:01:17 AM
Yep, only 1/16" growth in 5 years time.  You would have thought that he would have been packing some 1 1/2 - 1 3/4" hooks at that age.  He must have been lacking in spur genetics. 

Let's see here...a majority of his beard was broken off, one spur was broken and the $100 reward on his band expired in July of 2009.  Man, I got screwed over here!!! I want my tag back...lol.  :toothy12:

This may be worthy of a completely new post but this really could change the way we estimate age, If your birds spurs havn't grown in 5 years how can we ever estimate age. I always figuered that spur length was the best way to judge. Now what.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: WNY Bowhunter on May 25, 2012, 01:46:55 PM
I was just thinking, I haven't been pestered by a single mosquito or black fly this entire season.  I've carried a thermocell in my vest since mid-April on my KY trip, but have yet to turn it on.

I was raped by them in Lacona and Pulaski.  The thermocell was working overtime and I still had the headnet from my bug-tamer jacket on.

I can assure y'all, they ain't no extinct species up there!

troutfisher13111

I called in 4 jakes a little while ago, they put on a nice show. Can't seem to locate a tom.

I spoke too soon on the mosquitoes, they are all over me today!