OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

SBE II - Advantages with a Marlin 336 mount over a Speed Bead Mount?

Started by Dan Smith, May 21, 2012, 11:25:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan Smith

Being a lefty, my Semi-auto gun choices were limited for a good all-around gun since finding good lefty guns isn't fun nor easy.  Ended up getting a good deal on a lefty SBEII, Matte Black, 26" barrel and 7 chokes. Gun was shot maybe 20 times by the previous owner and came with 2 turkey chokes.

I'm in the market for a FFIII, 3 MOA.  I see some go with the speed bead mount (you can purchase separately) to mount their FFIII, or go with the speed bead mount that comes with an FFII.

Others go with the Marlin 336 mount with their FFII and FFIII rather than using the speed bead mount.

What are the advantages of the Marlin 336 mount over the bolt-on speed bead mount?   I understand you need the receiver drilled and tapped with the Marlin mount.

With the speed bead, you can remove the optic and still use the front and rear sites on the gun, but it puts the optic closer to your eye. Have there been cases where people have shot heavy 3.5" loads and took one on the eye with the FFII or FFIII?   ;)

I'm hoping some of you can educate me on the advantages of one mount over the other based on your experiences with your SBEII's.  I'm a firm believer in research before making purchases so the right decision can be made the first time.

Thanks!

Dan

BrowningGuy88

Yes you have to drill and tap the receiver for the 336 mount. My Vinci is already D/T from the factory but the spacing is wrong so I am going to have the 336 mount drilled to fit the gun.

As far as advantages, they both mount low and in a natural plane of sight with normal cheek weld so I can't see much difference in the two. I know I wouldn't want to shoot a 3.5" Mag Blend with a Speed Bead though. I personally would not be comfortable with that!

BurrisOptics

The marlin mount will sit slightly higher than the SB.  The SB will sit in the natural sight plane and in most cases you can still use the bead without removing the sight at all. 

I've NEVER heard of anyone ever getting bit by a SB shooting any type of load.  Your entire face would have to move past your strong hand to even get to it.  That would be some serious recoil.  Anyone struggling with recoil that bad should probably consider switching to a different gun all together.  Scopes that bite you sit much closer to your eye than the SB.  Seriously, the whole SB sits too close concern is a non issue. 

Dan Smith

Quote from: BurrisOptics on May 21, 2012, 02:47:12 PM
The marlin mount will sit slightly higher than the SB.  The SB will sit in the natural sight plane and in most cases you can still use the bead without removing the sight at all. 

I've NEVER heard of anyone ever getting bit by a SB shooting any type of load.  Your entire face would have to move past your strong hand to even get to it.  That would be some serious recoil.  Anyone struggling with recoil that bad should probably consider switching to a different gun all together.  Scopes that bite you sit much closer to your eye than the SB.  Seriously, the whole SB sits too close concern is a non issue. 

Thanks.  (subliminal message on) Now just put the FFIII in a Speed Bead Combo Package for the SBEII so I don't have to spend a ton on purchasing each seperately. (subliminal message off) Or point me in the right direction offline for a hookup...  :biggringift: