News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Two way radios

Started by lowoctane, May 21, 2012, 10:36:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowoctane

:morning:
We have been using FRS 36 mile radios on our 240 acres with limited success. Its a relatively flat but heavily wooded area. Would love to find radios that will work in this place! Any recommendations or ideas are welcome and appreciated... :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

drenalinld

I have used many pairs and the cobras are the best of the cheaper two-ways. Motorola second best. Midland and uniden distant third.

drenalinld

This is a great pair. Hills between you will cause problems with all two-ways.

GOLD HUNTER

We bear hunt in the fall and we all have the i-com radio, they talk a long ways and over the mtn.

http://www.icomamerica.com/en/marine/Default.aspx

gotcha

Get youselfr some handheld vhf{marine}radios and be done with it.Never had much luck with the 2 way walkie talkie type.Not sure how the fcc sees it though.

turkey slayer

my family has tried tons of two ways, none really worked the way we wanted so we just use our phones.

lowoctane

Our phone service isnt the best where we're at, except for texting. But, texting while hunting? YUK! Have considered marine hand helds too. Not sure what the rules say about using those frequencies over land...
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

drenalinld

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0035PMH1W/ref=mp_s_a_3?qid=1337615624&sr=8-3
This is the pair I intended to post before. All of the newer long range two-way radios are high enough wattage that you are supposed to obtain FCC license to operate. I have tried cheap marine band and was disappointed. Not sure about FCC regs for marine band.

lowoctane

:morning:
Hmmm. Good reviews. Price is low. We have approx 1.5 miles of fairly heavy cover...
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

turkey_slayer

I bet we have over 30 sets of radios and they all suck! If one person drops in a hollow you might as forget about talking to each other. The best ones by far were the Motorola sport 10x but there big and bulky. We just use our phones with unlimited everything plans cause 90% of the time were roaming. There's still a few places that have zero cell signal so we just meet at a certain spot at a certain time or swing by and pick the other up on the way out. This is for deer hunting. We very rarely split off turkey hunting.

turkey_slayer

Speaking of radios what's the funniest conversations yall have heard on em lol. I heard a guy say.......Fred did u shoot?.......yeah.........did you get him..........yeah........well how big.......I'm not sure. How do you score a dang opossum...........u got up at 3 am to shoot one of those crap grinning things?..........looks that way doesn't it lol

BC

Quote from: turkey_slayer on May 22, 2012, 07:09:03 PM
Speaking of radios what's the funniest conversations yall have heard on em lol. I heard a guy say.......Fred did u shoot?.......yeah.........did you get him..........yeah........well how big.......I'm not sure. How do you score a dang opossum...........u got up at 3 am to shoot one of those crap grinning things?..........looks that way doesn't it lol

Me and one of my buddies were talking one afternoon and he asked me if I had seen anything. I told him there was a doe feeding across the creek from me and all I heard was the radio key up and say "Shoot that mother smacker, I want her". So I slipped the safety off and put one through her shoulder.

Never did find out who said it.

gotcha

"Alright.....who did it?"   is what we heard over the radio.During our lunch break I put some pickle juice in my buddies Skoal mouth call holder.

lowoctane

As an update: found and purchased 4 retired police UHF hand held radios, with the speaker/mikes. After we've played with them for a while, I'll post up their performance. :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

wvboy

Quote from: GOLD HUNTER on May 21, 2012, 01:31:05 PM
We bear hunt in the fall and we all have the i-com radio, they talk a long ways and over the mtn.

http://www.icomamerica.com/en/marine/Default.aspx

Agreed these are the best .. we use the ICOM as well.. but the HAM flavor .. but you are technically supposed to have a license to use them ..
RB .. Take me Home Country Roads